Pumkin beer extract only!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcatgrad7

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post and I wanted to start of by saying gracias for all the help this forum has been.

I am on my 3rd batch of brew (my1st being a West Coast Pale Ale that I received free for purchasing my beer brewing/kegging kit, my 2nd beer a very Hoppy (8 different HOPS) Ipa recipe I received from a LHBM friend. Now I want to brew a pumpkin beer either an ALe or a Porter. I want everyones input so If you have a ALL Extract pumpkin beer recipe that tastes just like a pumpkin pie and makes you want to drink over a gallon would you please let me know the recipe. Thank you once again for all the help this site has been. one more quesitons does Anyone have an Egg Nog Ale recipe that would be sweet also.:ban: :ban: :ban: :fro: Take it easy,

-Mike From SD

Do a search on this forum for "Pumpkin". This has been discussed for several weeks now so the info is freash.

IMO, you are starting to brew too late in the season. Spices like ginger and clover need a long time to mellow.

I brewed in June and bottled in July and it's not quite ready yet. My schedule is for Turkey Day with any "leftovers" for Christmas.:D

If I were to make one today I would cut all the spices by at least half. You can purchase a container of "Pumpkin Pie" spices so it's all you'll need, but I think it is a wee heavy (if I can borrow that expression from our Scottish bretheren) on the cloves and cinnamon.

Keep us posted...:D

To my best knowledge (wife's a pastry chef) there is no clove in pumpkin pie, so don't fear the brew if you stick to the basics, which are cinnamon and nutmeg. It may be okay if you either like a strong spice presence or use less to begin with.

HB_99's right though, this has been a hot topic of late, so please do a search.

I myself have a pumpkin in secondary and it looks good too!

:mug:

Spyk'd said:
To my best knowledge (wife's a pastry chef) there is no clove in pumpkin pie, so don't fear the brew if you stick to the basics, which are cinnamon and nutmeg. It may be okay if you either like a strong spice presence or use less to begin with.

Many recipes do use clove (or often allspice) and some of the "pumpkin pie spice mixes" you buy have it. I used brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in my pumpkin ale (Midwest's recipe) and that was plenty of spice. I think using allspice or clove and ginger would make for a very spicy pumpkin ale.

veggiess said:
Many recipes do use clove (or often allspice) and some of the "pumpkin pie spice mixes" you buy have it. I used brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in my pumpkin ale (Midwest's recipe) and that was plenty of spice. I think using allspice or clove and ginger would make for a very spicy pumpkin ale.

Good point that some (or most?) pre-fab recipes use uneeded spices, however, I was merely trying to help the OP to be able to brew something before the perceived deadline and possibly still have a wonderful beer.

Actually, I think you help too, how about that?

Cheers!
:mug:

Back