too late to start this year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkador

Reaction score
Is it too late to start growing hops this year? The Texas growing season will probably last until the end of october.

Where is a good place online to order the rhyzomes? I would love to grow some cascades (i use these ALOT)

i'm wondering the same thing.. planted some about 3 weeks ago... i'm up in canada.. growing season wont be too long here... i think it's still good to grow the roots for an early start next year

so, i need to be ready to start growing next march.... gives me plenty of time to get ready for the next planting season. I hear some usable hops are possible first year, but don't count on it.

I planted Cascade and Chinook (1st year) in mid-March and I wasn't expecting much of a harvest at all - but I'm looking at 3-4 ounces dry based on what is hanging on the bines now.

Iam absolutely not an expert. I'm just as much a jock brewer as I am a jock gardener. If you were me, and if you can find any part of a hop plant whatsoever I would stick it in the ground and hope for the best. There is not much to lose in the way of cash, but if it takes, my limited experience tells me that any growth in the first year is a big help for the following year.

Like I said, I'm no expert, as my sig indicates.

I got some of these last month

Fresh Hop Rhizome Plants for Growing Hops at Home

Looks like they are still available. Mine are getting started in 5 gallon buckets. I ordered 3, they sent me 5, but only 3 have sprouted. I have no expectation of any harvest this year, but hope this gives me a better chance at some yield next year. Since most of what they seem to be doing this year is getting roots growing, it seems reasonable to start them. I'm toying with the idea of bringing the buckets inside in the fall and running grow lights for a couple of extra months to see if that helps. Already have the lights 4' flourescent grow lights and timer. By standing them vertically I could have my own hops tanning salon.:rolleyes:

Mt Hood is a Hallertauer clone that is more disease resistant. I wanted to brew some German lagers, so it works for me.

By the way, the fourth and fifth rhizomes have sprouted. After a couple of weeks in the potting soil, with nothing showing up from them and the others growing, I dug them out gently to find that the upper sprouts had dried up and that there were live sprouts at the deep end! So much for planting vertically. I replanted them horizontally, under less than an inch of soil, and both have sprouted in the past week.

If all five survive, I will be collecting recipes that use Hallertauer hops. I like a bargain: five for the price of three suits me well.

Back