Wyeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockjones73

Reaction score
I just made a 1.084 OG breakfast stout and pitched using a 1 quart starter from a Wyeast American ale smackpack. The FG only got to 1.030, or about 60% attenuation. I was shooting for 1.020 or so. I think I should have used a bigger starter, but am not sure how you step a starter up...couldn't I just make, say, a 2-4 qt starter in the Primary fermentor pitched with a smackpack, decant the starter wort and put my beer wort on the cake? Those packs are supposed to be able to innoculate a whole batch of low-gravity beer, so couldn't I just go from smackpack to four quart starter without stepping up from a small starter?

Right on!!! Well, too late to fix the beer, my buddy already racked it to the secondary for me. Oh well, I might gain a few points there, but nothing wrong with a 1.030 7.5% breakfast stout, either. Thanks guys, and I'll remember the starter advice!

Back