Lock for my fridges...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
Here's the deal. Just Tuesday my wallet was taken from my truck in my driveway. The thug apparently watched me load my truck and snagged it when I went back inside for about 5 minutes. My fridges are under my carport outside and on top of vagrants stealing stuff, I've got teenage family members around the house regularly.

I've got two full size fridges, a fermentation fridge and a kegerator/beer fridge. I'd like to install locks on them that are easy and quick to open but still plenty secure. Suggestions?

Screw a couple lock hinges on them. The kind that flip over a loop and receive a pad lock. They use them on mini storage doors. I've seen them at the Depot or Lowes.

Go to the hardware store into the lock section, and guarenteed you can find some sort of metal lock hinge contraption for pad locks. Then use tek screws (self tapping screws used to screw into sheet metal) to fasten it to the fridge. Probably the easiest solution.

Or be a cool parent or uncle or whatever and pretend you dont notice your teenager getting into your brew and find a way to lock your garage door securely. Kids have to get it from somewhere, might as well be from you. haha

steelcitybrew said:
Go to the hardware store into the lock section, and guarenteed you can find some sort of metal lock hinge contraption for pad locks. Then use tek screws (self tapping screws used to screw into sheet metal) to fasten it to the fridge. Probably the easiest solution.

Or be a cool parent or uncle or whatever and pretend you dont notice your teenager getting into your brew and find a way to lock your garage door securely. Kids have to get it from somewhere, might as well be from you. haha

Don't over tork the screws, fridge metal is really thin. Put some liquid nails behind it before you screw it down. This is what I had to do, cause I over torked a couple.

I was thinking carriage bolts throught the wall of the fridge and door to fasten whatever I use. I really want something that takes a key or combination but not a pad lock. I've searched and found a few cabinet locks that look interesting if I can make them work.

Update

My indecisiveness has cost me about 40+ beers. My fridge under the carport was completely emptied of bottles last night. Thankfully they left the kegs and co2. I'm going to Home Depot today.

Update

My indecisiveness has cost me about 40+ beers. My fridge under the carport was completely emptied of bottles last night. Thankfully they left the kegs and co2. I'm going to Home Depot today.

I think a trip to the gun store is in order too......

Wow, that is terrible! I have been considering options for my brew room lately. My step-son, while a decent guy, drinks a lot and he will surely be delighted with my brewery when he moves in with me. LOL He is still waiting on his visa before he can immigrate, so at least I have time to create my vault.

I do hope you sort your problems out the first time.

I was at Home Depot the other day. They have one of those hinged locking contraptions that actually has a built in combination lock. A few screws and some liquid nail, and it'll take a crowbar for someone to break in.

This kind has a built in lock (no padlock)
5myj-9rs0tef065f3OAWNWVK8uI5Sz3Fx-jZq9-5slBbQPrNY1Wy__qi6baRWAocn-A8dBXIQhyJXSBXZ8OZzB3-580pndjZb6oA276NOwklUnVsr023nndQL3y-nnV3X41WLntt9p4q

I'd also consider hiding behind the fridge with a baseball bat.

I've got a game camera with infrared flash that I'm going to set up.

Astro- I bought a lock today similar to that but with a combination lock instead of key. JJL mentioned it and I picked one up.

Put a tap through the door and put a blue ribbon over it with the title

State Champ,
"The BOMB"

Connect a PET bottle on the inside and fill it with 80% BMC and 20% Citrucel.

Make sure to keep a stack of red cups ontop of the fridge for easy access.

You'll be able to follow the perps by the trail they leave behind.

I think a trip to the gun store is in order too......

I second that. Heck, Texas has more lenient gun laws that we have in Florida, and you can bet your bottom dollar I'd put a hole in you if I found you trying to lift my product out of my keezer in the carport.
I hate thieves. I mean I REALLY hate thieves.

-Biscayne, I LOVE your idea! hehehehe.

This kind has a built in lock (no padlock)
5myj-9rs0tef065f3OAWNWVK8uI5Sz3Fx-jZq9-5slBbQPrNY1Wy__qi6baRWAocn-A8dBXIQhyJXSBXZ8OZzB3-580pndjZb6oA276NOwklUnVsr023nndQL3y-nnV3X41WLntt9p4q

I'd also consider hiding behind the fridge with a baseball bat.

I've seen someone open those with the wrong key before, just the same groves. I would go with the combination lock ones.

Call me naive, but isn't there some sort of liability the OP might incur by having beer stored outside and unsecured?

Well, yeah, but I'm thinking more in terms of what happens when kids are getting drunk on his homebrew that isn't secured...

Well, yeah, but I'm thinking more in terms of what happens when kids are getting drunk on his homebrew that isn't secured...

:mug: I know, I just felt like being a dink.

I'm sure, as Ravenshead said, that with the right lawyer, anything is possible.
But they still stole it, regardless if it was accessible or not, in my opinion.
However, I do remember hearing a story of some criminal who hurt themself while breaking into someone's house. The criminal sued, and the homeowner was held accountable.

However, I do remember hearing a story of some criminal who hurt themself while breaking into someone's house. The criminal sued, and the homeowner was held accountable.

I think that was from Liar Liar the movie:

Here is the quote:

" 'Mr. Reede. Several years ago,a friend had a burglar on her roof. He fell through the skylight, landed ona butcher's knife, cutting his leg. The burglar sued my friend. He sued my friend! Because of guys like you, he won! My friend had to pay the burglar six thousand dollars. ls that justice ?'

'No. l'd have got him ten.' "

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it actually did happen.

I think that was from Liar Liar the movie

It could be from that, I'm not a movie person, so I'm not sure.
I think I do remember hearing the story happened a lot differently than what you quoted, but who knows. I work with a lot of old guys (no offence old guys), so I've heard thousands of different versions of the same stories, including that one.

It doesn't matter if they stole it. If a kid gets drunk on your beer that you didn't secure and then hurts or kills someone in a DWI or other crime. The victim could sue you for negligence. It's already happened numerous times to bartenders who didn't cut a patron off.

Before you lock it down, bottle one more 6 or 12 with 2 tablespoons of liquid Ex-Lax in each bottle. Let them take and drink those.

If they still want your beer after that hangover, then you're just gonna have to put them down.
Humanely of course.....

Man you guys are nice. I would be priming the bottles with rat poison. Or set up a bear trap to the handle of the fridge.

I think lawyers call it 'attractive nuisance' or something like that. Just like you cannot 'boobytrap' these creeps -if they get hurt that way, you may well be liable -even though they were stealing your stuff.
All joking aside, prevention is best.
But GOD help 'em if I were to catch 'em while I had something handy to brain them with!

It doesn't matter if they stole it. If a kid gets drunk on your beer that you didn't secure and then hurts or kills someone in a DWI or other crime. The victim could sue you for negligence. It's already happened numerous times to bartenders who didn't cut a patron off.

It just doesn't make much sense to me. If I were to break into "insert brewery with good beer here, but not good enough that I wouldn't want them out of business", and get sh*t-tanked on a bunch of beer, then go out and kill someone, I could sue the brewery because they didn't do a good enough job of locking everything up?

I'm not trying to argue with you on who is right or wrong, I just hate how screwed up the legal system is.

If I go to your house and steal your mash tun (Yeah, I looked at your pictures, I'm gathering ideas on what to "acquire" :mug:), and then cut my hands on a sharp edge on your converted keg, then I could sue you?

Who said it has to make sense? We're talking about lawyers here. Anyone can at least try to sue for anything. Whether they win, lose or get they're case thrown out of court is a crap shoot.

It just doesn't make much sense to me. If I were to break into "insert brewery with good beer here, but not good enough that I wouldn't want them out of business", and get sh*t-tanked on a bunch of beer, then go out and kill someone, I could sue the brewery because they didn't do a good enough job of locking everything up?

Except in this case, it's not really breaking into anything.... the booze is sitting in a fridge that is outside and unsupervised. I can't imagine it would be hard to get in trouble for that.

Except in this case, it's not really breaking into anything.... the booze is sitting in a fridge that is outside and unsupervised. I can't imagine it would be hard to get in trouble for that.

So I could steal your car (if it were out in your driveway, and not in a garage), because it's outside and unsupervised? Then crash it and kill someone, and sue you because you didn't make it hard enough for me to steal it?

It's still stealing. Stealing is stealing. It's not theirs, and they took it, stealing.

Again, I'm not saying who's right or wrong here. I know that I could probably do exactly what I just said, and depending my lawyer, I could win. It's completely screwed up.

Nobody said it wasn't screwed up. We're just saying that is how it is.

Now, quit trying to use common sense. That doesn't apply here and never will.:drunk:

Edit: Ahh, I just saw that you're only 23. You aren't jaded enough yet. Don't worry, it will come.:mug:

Back