Blow off tubes & plastic buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
So I have really vigorous Hefeweizen fermation going on and am having troubles with plugged plastic 3 piece airlocks. After reading the Wyeast webpage about it they suggest having a large amount of headspace available with this line which I didn't see until now:

Wyeastlab.com said:
True top cropping yeast requires full headspace of 33%.

I'm trying to keep the buggers cool so they don't go too crazy and am at 67 F at the moment. Right now the fermenter is venting CO2 around the gasket on the bucket and am worried about 2 things: 1) a beer explosion in my coat closet, and 2) getting infection from having to fart around with the air lock constantly to get it clean.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

What do you do for blow off tubes in a plastic bucket? I'm guessing drill a bigger hole and attach a 3/4" fitting to the top of the bucket in some way and attach tubing to that?

I took a piece of beer line hose, about a foot, jammed it right into the cover and then led the other end into a cleaned and sanitized plastic quart container half full of a star san solution. Making sure the hose is under the solution, my Imperial IPA is bubbling away like an aquarium aerator! But it's not blowing out anything.

I had to hook up a blow off hose to my ale this weekend. I used an old racking came and cut off the 90 deg bend, put a hose on one end and stuck the other through the bung into the carboy. I'll probably replace the airlock this afternoon when I get home from work since it looks like it was slowing this AM.

I still have to clean the gunk off the ceiling in the basement.

Since I started using starters recently...I invented my "ghetto blow-off". I ran down to the LHBS and picked up another plastic lid. I drilled a 1" hole in the center of the lid and used a 1" plastic tube (with some teflon tape rapped to make a seal) and stuck the other end in a 2-gallon jug of sanitized water. Its worked great for me Belgian Trippel, my Wit, and my IPA.

-Todd

Well, I remedied my situation for now by hacking off the end of a 3 piece airlock with a scissors and it isn't plugging up. Hopefully I'll be fine until next brew when I'll get a blowoff system rigged up. Thankfully my lid leaks when there is enough pressure on it, otherwise I would have a serious problem to clean up.

Does your bucket lid have a rubber grommet inside the hole, where you stick your airlock?

If so, pop the rubber grommet out and find the diameter of tubing that fits very snuggly in the hole in the lid. Viola: blow-off hose.

Back