WLP#830 for ALE???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
So here's the deal, I am about to brew a vienna type Lager with a white Labs #830 yeast strain and I wanted to do this by pitching onto a #830 yeast cake. My prob is that instead of making a starter for it I twas wondering if anyone has made an Ale with a Lager yeast .IE: 65 degree ale ferm, then pitch Lager onto cake, then cold ferment new batch. If this is possible what type of ale closely resembles the Vienna type Lager that I am striving for? Any help from long time or short time brewers most appr.:rockin: cheers.

I am confused, 830 is a lager yeast making any beer brewed with this yeast a lager. It might be fermented at ale temps but still a lager. Using a cake from a lager brewed at ale temps. should not carry over the same fermentation properties if the following brew is fermented at lager temps.

Did I get this correct? If so, what did I win?

So your delimma is whether you should make a starter for your lager, or brew a whole batch of beer, ferment it with lager yeast at ale temps, then rack your lager on top of the yeast cake?

Just make a starter for your lager yeast, and be done with it.

Back