Early Morning Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got about 30 minutes till I get off work and get home to brew a hefe. Anyone brewing this morning?

Early morning brewing is the way to go. I usually got my mash going by 7-730

Tomorrow morning for me. Planning on having the burner lit by no later than 4:30. If all goes well, I should have everything done and put away by 10:00 at the latest.

My old lazy ass couldn't get going soon enough but thinking if I start around 10 am it will be a huge improvement to when I started my first 3 batches between 4 and 6 pm. I'm hoping to get two batches in (extract). The next time I brew I'm thinking I won't go out the night before and be a ******* so that I can start earlier.

yesterday I started around 9. I use to start earlier, that is pretty good for me usually I end up starting around noon.

I love morning brewing. I usually get started at 7 and am cleaning up by noon. It seems so much more relaxing than mid day brewing. It's kind of like going to the gym before work or starting your day. It seems to make the rest of the day a whole lot better. I'm on vacation right now so I'm planning a brew on Monday. I may try to get a little earlier start.

5:35 am - mash is on at the correct temp and ph, and the sparge water temp is slowly climbing up. Sitting here sipping on coffee and listening to the ducks in the pond across the street because there is no other noise anywhere.

Started at 5 am, mash is 10 min from done. Cooking breakfast for the kids and waiting for the sun to come up. No beers for this brew session!

Early morning for me. set equipment up night before. Set coffee timer for 5.

Fresh cup of Major dickinson coffee in hand, turn on burner. Doughing in by 5:30.

MY coffee is set for 5:15 everyday, I am just a morning person.

That being said, I can never seem to brew before mid/later afternoon. It's the only time my brew partner and I can seem to get together. I would love to start brewing early in the morning but my kids are light sleepers all it takes is me getting a cup of coffee most days to wake them up so they can start fighting with eachother earlier.

Ohhhhh yeah! When I was brewing a lot I would have the system ready to go the night before. Water in the HLT grain in the MLT then I would get up at 4 AM. Turn on the system and go back to bed for 45 min while the E HLT would get to temp...Jump up go mash in fill HLT with sparge water, stir mash and ....yep....head back to bed for another 45 min...yeah I would be ready to sparge at about 6AM and felt like I got a full nights sleep. Its was funny because while I would go back to bed I would always dream of the brew session....

Cheers
Jay

Yeah, I usually have the strike water going by 5:00 am and mashing in by 6:00 am, then all rapped up by 10:00 or 11:00 am. Have the strike water automatically turn on by 5:00 and heat up while I am still sleeping. Then up by 6:00 to mash in and make coffee. Get a few chores done while it is mashing in and then it is off to the burner to boil for either an hour or an hour and a half depending on what I am brewing.

Dang, I thought I got up early to brew. I was up at 7:30 yesterday heaitng stirke water and yeast pitched around noon. Its so nice to have the rest of the day to do whatever else I wish, although what is really left once brewing is done? :D

I just finished another early morning brew yesterday, 5gal of Candy Caramel Amber. I've been starting my brews earlier and earlier lately. It seems to make the footprint of brew day smaller which keeps my wife happy. I set up at night, clean the kitchen and prep my strike water for the morning. Wake up and kick on the stove and coffee pot.

I've pretty much dialed the beer day into about 4hrs though yesterday I mashed for 90 and boiled for 90 and finished in 5hrs. I have two toddlers so unfortunately they hear "dad" and get up early, but if I'm lucky I have 45min to an hour to myself...

I'm an early morning brewer too! I usually get going around 5:30 am to 6:00 am. It gives me some time to get going before the kids wake up and I'm done by mid afternoon and still have time to do stuff with my family.

BlackRock said:
I just finished another early morning brew yesterday, 5gal of Candy Caramel Amber. I've been starting my brews earlier and earlier lately. It seems to make the footprint of brew day smaller which keeps my wife happy. I set up at night, clean the kitchen and prep my strike water for the morning. Wake up and kick on the stove and coffee pot. I've pretty much dialed the beer day into about 4hrs though yesterday I mashed for 90 and boiled for 90 and finished in 5hrs. I have two toddlers so unfortunately they hear "dad" and get up early, but if I'm lucky I have 45min to an hour to myself...

+1
I call it "Domestic tranquility "

The burner sounds so cool at 6am in the quiet garage! What do the English crystal malts offer that you're so much?

Brewsncrabs said:
The burner sounds so cool at 6am in the quiet garage! What do the English crystal malts offer that you're so much?

Darn phones. What do English crystal malts offer that you like so much?

Brewsncrabs said:
Darn phones. What do English crystal malts offer that you like so much?

Hard to describe. They taste different. More caramel and less sugary taste. If you've ever head a rogue dead guy or oskar blues gordon, they both use English Crystal. So does Sierra Nevada celebration. It just has a fuller, more robust and savory, chewy flavor. I love it so much.

Yep, last week at this time, I was almost done with my 2-hour boil (was supposed to be a 1.5 hour boil b/c of Pilsner malt, but I accidentally ran off too much).

Got my yeast starter going this morning, gonna fire the Bunn up about 0600, probably mash in by 0630. Planning on a Moose Drool clone. Wanting to do an IPA as soon as I can harvest the yeast so maybe Sunday do another.

Hard to get early when you stay up late watchin the Cards though.

I put the water in the kettle the night before. Flame on at 4:30, crawl into a sleeping bag on the outdoor lounger chair next to the kettle. Temp probe alarm goes off a short while later and I add the grains (BIAB). Brewed in the fog last week, kinda cool.

image-1802080551.jpg

Started at 5, Water is almost heated to strike temp, here we go!

I always start early. Finish up mash in morning twilight and first additions at sunrise is never too early.

Farm life tends to tie up my brewing from June to late Oct. or Nov. I'll be back on track this coming week. I took delivery of 400 lbs of fermentables and 3 lbs of hops as of yesterday. I've got farm raised corn due for experimental mashing. Cool weather is here for natural fermentation control and soon Ol' Potbelly will be doing the wood fired mashing.

I always start early. Finish up mash in morning twilight and first additions at sunrise is never too early.

Farm life tends to tie up my brewing from June to late Oct. or Nov. I'll be back on track this coming week. I took delivery of 400 lbs of fermentables and 3 lbs of hops as of yesterday. I've got farm raised corn due for experimental mashing. Cool weather is here for natural fermentation control and soon Ol' Potbelly will be doing the wood fired mashing.

Where you at, Kracken? I'm doing the same and agree with the farm life impact on the brew schedule. I managed to fit in milking, feeding and watering the animals during the mash this morning.

About to start the vourlauf in NC. It's all spooky and foggy outside and the coffee tastes great.

I love this hobby.

I'm in Freedom about 5 miles from the Maine line. I raise mostly sweet corn for retail and wholesale. I also do custom feeder hogs which are going away tomorrow. I'll get out some of the melons left behind for their final meal.

Where are you farmin'?

I'm off to get a couple bacon slabs into the smoker.

View attachment 157641

Started at 5, Water is almost heated to strike temp, here we go!

I normally brew outside, but here lately I have been putting my strike water in a pot on the electric stove the night before, covered with a lid and the campden tablet already dissolved in it. While I'm getting dressed and making coffee the strike water is heating up and I'm mashing in no time! This also saves me on propane, kinda makes me wonder why I ever started brewing outside, never underestimate an electric stove!!

Back