Show us your bar!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After months of work it's finally done.

IMG_3150.jpg
IMG_3152.jpg
IMG_3153.jpg
IMG_3151.jpg

Very, very nice. However, was the stool on the left photo shopped? I ask as part of the top seat is missing (or blended into the face of the bar).

Ha! I hadn't noticed that. There's no photoshopping. There is a light directly above the bar and the edge of the bar's shadow on the stool falls exactly in line with a cedar board in that photo.

Any specific kind of butcher block that you got that is better suited for having that drip tray on it? Or maybe a type of finish that you put on the top that keeps it conditioned?

I just used Hardwood Reflections Unfinished Birch butcher block from Home Depot, but I finished it with Rubio Monocoat. It's a plant-based oil that bonds to the wood fibers to create a (food safe) waterproof seal. I made sure that I finished both sides as well as around all the cutouts.

One thing to bear in mind is that you really need a router with a good bit to cut holes in butcher block. A jigsaw doesn't do a good job. A circular saw is fine for cutting the block down to size, but it's a pain for cutouts. If you're not experienced with working butcher block (like me), I'd also recommend making a template out of MDF first and then use a router bit with a guide bearing to cut out in the shape of the template. Here's some pictures from my build:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/keezer-and-bar-build.679376/#post-8899313

Back