Seeking advice re: using lactose at bottling as a "fix"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Belgian

Reaction score
I made a pale ale that fermented out much lower than I had planned - down to 1.006 (I know why it happened, but its not the point of my question so I'll just leave it at that). This was supposed to be a nice balanced APA with about 35 ibu and 5.5% abv. Since it fermented out so low, Hopville calculates a 6.9% abv for what I expect will be a very dry beer (NTTAWWT).

I don't mind dry beers, but am wondering whether a more experienced brewer might add some lactose at bottling? I want to bottle tomorrow (Sunday) and am just looking for some thoughts from those with some experience. I know it will be a decent beer either way, and don't want to overthink this, but I really wanted a nice, balanced, easy-drinking APA. Have researched the issue, and am thinking about adding 8 oz. of lactose with my priming sugar.

Thanks Homebrewtalkers!

I would just drink it. Putting bandaids on a beers "flaw" almost never works out. You end up with something worse than what you started with. At that final gravity it should still be very drinkable.

Yeah, don't add the lactose. At 1.006 it may be dry, but for an APA, thats not a terribly bad thing. You might find with some carbonation and a chill that you really enjoy it. Drink it as is, and if it ever happens again, then try the lactose if you really didn't enjoy it.

I had a pale that finished a lot dryer and a bit tarter than I wanted, and I ended up stirring a drop of agave into each glass after I poured. I felt a little better after reading about certain German beers being served with a small pitcher of fruit syrup.

Thanks guys. I followed your advice and it made my bottling day a bit easier yesterday. A simpler, easier process is always preferred in this hobby. The uncarbonated, warm sample tasted great, so I'm hopeful.

Back