Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prohank

Reaction score
6.6 -lbs Unhopped light Malt Syrup (I Have a very small TUN to work with)
3/4 -lbs 80L Crystal Malt
1/1 -lbs Roasted Black Barley
1/4 -lbs Flaked Barley
1 -oz Northern Bewer Hops (60 Min)
1/2 -oz Fuggles Hops (Boil last 3 min)
4 -tsp Gypsum (Boil 60 min)
3/4 -cup corn suger (for bottleing) t(o me this seems a 1/4 cup more
then needed but I'm new to this)
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

Two questions.

1. should I use the full 3/4 cup corn suger for primeing?

2. For the yeast instad of White Labs Irish Ale Yeast
I was thinking of takeing 2 bottles of Guinness Stout and opening them
add 1/4 cup of corn suger and airlock it for a day before pitching.

I'm thinking this way i have the same yeast as they use.

1) Yes.

2) There is no viable yeast in Guinness. Use the Irish.

Also, you need to mash flaked barley. You can't or at least shouldn't steep it.

as stated, there is no yeast in guinneess bottles, but you'll still need the soured beer to add if your going for a true clone.

Thanks for the input everyone So they force NOS in the new Extra Stout Guinneess as well? Extra Stout Guinneess has no widget in the bottles.

But like I say I'am a new be

as stated, there is no yeast in guinneess bottles, but you'll still need the soured beer to add if your going for a true clone.

How long should I leave it sit out to Sour?

WLP004 or Wyeast 1084 are about the same thing. I have used both and did not taste a difference. They are both supposedly what Guiness uses.

Just do a simple grain bill. pale malt, roasted barley, and flaked barley. I was thinking of doing a dry stout and was going to do (all grain): 8 lbs pale malt, 2 lbs flaked barley, 1 lb roasted barley. Also, I have heard you need to mash flaked barley. I could be speaking out of my a**, but I thought I saw something somewhere saying that if you steep flaked barley you just cloud up your beer and get nothing beneficial out of it.

You could always just do a partial mash. Pretty easy to do, and then you could still use the flaked barley.

Back