Should I pitch more yeast before bottling my Wee Heavy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsharp

Reaction score
I bottled a Scottish Wee Heavy on 12/14/2010. It was an extract recipe with steeping grains. It had an OG of 1.089. I used Wyeast 1728 Scottish to ferment. I pitched a 1L starter and pitched a second 1728 pack due to the high gravity. I racked over to secondary after about a month. It has been sitting in secondary for about 2 1/2 months. I would like to bottle it in the next few days. Do I need to pitch some more yeast, or is there still enough yeast in suspension to carbonate? I will be using corn sugar if it matters.

You will be fine. Just make sure you dredge up some yeast with your racking cane when you transfer it to your bottling bucket. Just remember high gravity brews will take a little longer to carb up than a lower gravity brew.

I agree with Toga; let that batch age for about 2 months before you try it. Hopefully you have other brews on hand to pass the time.

I figured I would have enough yeast, thanks for the advice. I would not have thought of stirring up the yeast with my autosiphon. Luckily I have plenty of beer to keep me going for a couple more months.;)

Back