Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Auger on Traeger out again. Time for a new grill. Shouldn't have to repair my **** three times a year. Always happens on a big day too. Yay! Oven cooked pulled pork!

Wanted to smoke something today but will be traveling for the holiday. Will have to wait until Sunday.

Dropped the ball on seasoning the new WSM yesterday so nothing today. Will try for some ribs tomorrow. Safe Holiday to everybody.

Almost ready to wrap ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404489683.956074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

An 18.5" WSM and 22" WSM. ;)

how does that effect one's EAC status?

I really like the pellet grills but if they're unreliable like this Traeger than I'm not interested. Not sure how I'd like the vertical smoker...but I may just go with a WSM and a Weber charcoal and call it good for a few years.

Smoking a chicken tomorrow for a friends birthday party. I'm thinking about smoking a beef roast of some sort as well, something other than a brisket. Any one have any recommendations? I'll he stopping at the store in about 2 hours or so to get the meat if anyone has suggestions.

I know it isn't for everyone, but I really like my master built electric smoker. I got the 30", but you'll be way under $750 with the 40" model. I use it with the A-MAZE-N smoker tube. Works great.

Why buy a smoker and a smoker tube? Could you get by with a tube and a gas grill?

For what it's worth, I have the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker, and a Weber Smokey Mountain.

I use the WSM normally for hot smoking, but combine with the A-MAZE-N for cold smoking. The other option with the WSM is to build a separate smoke chamber, with some ducting and fans to keep the heat off whatever you're smoking.

I am interested to see how you do smoking a roast and a chicken at the same time.
I generally smoke chickens way hotter and faster to get the skin crisp. Otherwise, I'd recommend getting your broiler going in the kitchen to finish off the chicken after you pull it off the smoker.

Although tri tip certainly could turn out pretty good like that, too. HOWEVER if you are doing tri-tip you ought to do it Santa Maria style like they still do at Jocko's which to my knowledge is the cheapest, best steak you can get in a restaurant in California.

Why buy a smoker and a smoker tube? Could you get by with a tube and a gas grill?

I had trouble getting good temp control and indirect heat on my gas grill. The electric smoker has a tray for wood chips, but it's undersized. The tube smoker is relatively cheap and the smoker/tube combo gives precise temp control and good smoke with very little babysitting.

I'm smoking some baby back ribs tomorrow. Gonna use Alton Browns recipe. Hopefully they turn out good.

Smoking a chicken tomorrow for a friends birthday party. I'm thinking about smoking a beef roast of some sort as well, something other than a brisket. Any one have any recommendations? I'll he stopping at the store in about 2 hours or so to get the meat if anyone has suggestions.

I made this a few weeks ago and it turned out wonderful. Only difference was instead of a foil pan I used a dutch oven and I omitted the jalepenos.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94382

photo (2).jpg

Dropped the ball on seasoning the new WSM yesterday so nothing today. Will try for some ribs tomorrow. Safe Holiday to everybody.

Many say a WSM needs no seasoning. Just put it together and start cooking. It may run hot at first but after a build up it will hold temps for a LONG time.

Fixed the auger on the Traeger, now the fan is out. Cocksucker grill

Isn't the Traeger like the pellet grills of all grills? I'd be pissed if it were dying like that. :(

I'm going to smoke more chicken thighs. Hoping I can do 12 on my weber OTG (22.5") easily. Brew day today and I figured why not just invite others over and cook for them too? Something is bound to go wrong! haha

I made this a few weeks ago and it turned out wonderful. Only difference was instead of a foil pan I used a dutch oven and I omitted the jalepenos.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94382

It turns out buying meat on July 4th at 8 pm leaves you with a limited selection, but I did find a 4lb chuck roast. I'll have to try out the tritip the others suggested another time. I gave the chuck a quick rub last night and it's on the smoker now, but this link sounds like a good idea for a different way of finishing it off.

Many say a WSM needs no seasoning. Just put it together and start cooking. It may run hot at first but after a build up it will hold temps for a LONG time.

It ran pretty hot most of the day so I cut way back on my coals to start on the minion method. Smoking a chuck roast today to get my feet wet.

Having a hard time staying around 225 with vents closed. Door must be allowing more air in than I thought. Hovering around 250 throughout the past hour. I didn't use water and was unsure if that may help or not

Having a hard time staying around 225 with vents closed. Door must be allowing more air in than I thought. Hovering around 250 throughout the past hour. I didn't use water and was unsure if that may help or not

How are you measuring temp?

Got meat thermo in meat and using dome thermo that came with smoker. It's said that it can be horribly inaccurate but getting the thermo to drop regardless of accuracy isn't easy.

First smoke on the WSM. Roughly. 8 hours for this roast. Wrapped at 165 and ran to 195. Pulled a chunk off while resting and tastes simply amazing.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404603329.220008.jpg

Back