Looking for very simple stout recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
Im looking for a very simple stout recipe, only one or two types of grains, preferably one type of dry malt extract, pretty much one breed of hops. My idea is something simple so I can make little changes to the recipe each time I do it as a learning experiance. Thanks for your help.

Basic American Stout:

30 Lovibond, 5.5% ABV, 45 IBU

Steeping Grains (30 Min):
0.5 Lb Roasted Barley
0.25 lb Chocolate

7 LB Dark DME

1.5 Oz. Northern Brewer Hops 60 Min (9%) 45 IBU

American/English Ale Yeast I prefer Wyeast 1028 (London ale)

northernbrewer.com's dry stout has a lot of good reviews. you can find the exact recipe on their site but i think its

1lb roasted barley
6pounds LME

2oz cluster hops at 60

us04 dry yeast

All you need is two cans of light LME (no need to overdo on the
"dark"), and either quarter pound of roasted barley or a half pound
of chocolate malt. No flavoring hops, just bittering for 60 min.

Ray

+1 on Northern Brewers Dry Irish Stout w/ Wyeast 1084. Just bottled my second batch last saturday. Love, love, love this beer.

My favorite "Stout" beer is Muntons Gold Imperial Stout. And it couldn't be simpler. Almost too easy... The "kit" is just 2 cans of extract. It also includes some dry yeast but I like to use White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast. These kits make 40 pints and are only $23.39 from Brew Gadgets.

northernbrewer.com's dry stout has a lot of good reviews. you can find the exact recipe on their site but i think its

1lb roasted barley
6pounds LME

2oz cluster hops at 60

us04 dry yeast

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I figure if I found it others will, too. I really appreciate this recipe because it only has two ingredients and they are both ones I can attain.

I live in a non-western country where homebrew culture is almost non-existant and so I have had to be very creative with sourcing or substituting ingredients.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how much yeast to use if I have to measure it out from a bulk package?

Also, if brewers yeast was not available, and you had to choose between using bread yeast or inoculating the wort with kefir water (which contains various yeasts and probiotic bacteria), which would be the better choice?

BTW, here is a current link if anyone wants to see the original recipe and instructions: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/DryIrishStout.pdf

Back