Oktoberfest has acidic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srr013

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the all grain scene and brewed my first 5 gallon batch, an oktoberfest lager 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't say brew day went off without a hitch, I may have missed temperature by a few degrees at my different rests, but it seemed as though everything went well enough. I transferred my beer over to a keg for secondary fermentation today, and noticed it had a slightly acidic smell to it, as well as a slight cidery/acidic taste that masked almost all the flavor of the beer. I'm hoping with a bit more time the flavors will come out and the acidic taste will go away, but I'm also wondering if I screwed up my batch. Does anyone have any experience with this taste after about 2 weeks in primary?

for a real lager, 2 weeks in primary ain't nuttin'. Heck I'd have let it go at least 3 weeks in primary if you were holding 50F.

lagers are different beasts...they smell funkier cuz of the added sulfur and such. but the act of lagering will change the beer quite a bit.

Back