Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I made a 700 ml starter last night for my upcoming Wit, which I was going to brew tomorrow. Now it looks like I wont get to brew until next Monday. I put it into the fridge to slow the yeast down but is that enough?? Is keeping the starter refrigerated until Monday O.K.? Anything I should be worried about? Thanks. Big Al:D

I ran into a similar situation with a Steam Beer. I made the starter on a Wednesday with plans on brewing the following Saturday. I had to delay those plans until the following week. So I put the starter in the fridge and stepped it up a few days before my brew day by decanting most (but not all) of the liquid from the starter, boiling some more water and DME, cooling that mix to room temp and then pouring it into the starter bottle which I decanted from. That worked fine. I saw some activity in the starter and when I pitched I had a normal fermentation cycle.

probably fine. ideally you would have let the starter ferment out and then put it in the fridge.

I agree w/ nutcase. But since that can't happen, I'd tell you what I would do in the same situation.

I would repitch that starter yeast into another starter today or tomorrow. 700ml seems a bit small anyways unless you were using a stir plate (go to mrmalty.com in the future and use his pitch rate calculator).

Typically w/ starters, you can get away tossing the whole thing in the beer if it's a bigger beer. But a whit is pretty delicate. So i'd repitch into starter today...after it's done fermenting out. Put it in the fridge just enough to have it separate to beer up top and yeast down low. Pour off the beer and just pitch the wort into your batch. This way your starter gunk won't be affecting the taste of your whit.

If I'm correct in assuming your starter was a bit small, this should help fix it by
'stepping it up' again -- and I'd be sure to aerate really well too.

Back