Raising temp on the cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out the minimum size of pressure cooker to raise the temp of the MLT at a decent pace...Thanks

It seems easiest to put the steam into yesterdays leftover tee from my sight tube attempt...
I know the steam won't come out of the manifold evenly...but since I am using a power stirrer...It won't matter...
100_3318.jpg

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, tireater, in fact, I was thinking something along the same lines myself. I think I read on here that condensation inside the steam pipes could cause some trembling or thumping when first injecting the steam. Personally, I like things noisy, so the more hissing and thumping, the better :)

Also, I think I remember seeing calculations that only about 2 cups of water will be needed to raise an average amount of mash from 120-176 degrees. With that said, you might be able to get away with a fairly small pressure cooker. Although, a larger one would give you more steam/heating "reserve"

I'm finding i'm stuck using a 10qt model as I have a microwave oven over the stove...
I will hit Morebeer Fri for high temp hose and grain...then it's off to the races...!

Back