Help with 1 gal IPA recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroach01

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
Just bought a 1 gallon brewing kit and want to explore hop combinations and characteristics through trial and error.

I have a big bag of extra-light extract that I need to use and plenty of base malt/specialty grains. Given this,
1.) What do you think would be a good malt base for 1 gal IPA recipes (ex. light extract + specialty grains)?
2.) What are your favorite hop combinations and their schedules?

Throw anything you think is good out there! I have a ton of hops and can easily get random ones so no worries about supplies.

Thanks for your input, I'm excited to explore the possibilities on a small scale!
:mug:

kroach01 said:
Hi all
Just bought a 1 gallon brewing kit and want to explore hop combinations and characteristics through trial and error.

I have a big bag of extra-light extract that I need to use and plenty of base malt/specialty grains. Given this,
1.) What do you think would be a good malt base for 1 gal IPA recipes (ex. light extract + specialty grains)?
2.) What are your favorite hop combinations and their schedules?

Throw anything you think is good out there! I have a ton of hops and can easily get random ones so no worries about supplies.

Thanks for your input, I'm excited to explore the possibilities on a small scale!

No offense, but I'd go get 5 gallon equipment. 1 gallon batches are just too small in my opinion.

You should check out the 1 Gallon Brewers thread. Lots of good information in there that will probably help you out.

No offense, but I'd go get 5 gallon equipment. 1 gallon batches are just too small in my opinion.

None taken!
I do lots and lots of 5 gallon batches - four going now + 1 Cab that has been aging three months!
I just thought 1 gallon batches would allow lots of room to experiment and change variables without much investment of time and resources.

On my phone so I cant link it, but the thread is called 1 gallon brewers UNITE!

I am working my way through this thread, which will probably take me a year or so at this (moderately buzzed) pace. Still no suggestions for IPA hop malt backbone/hop profiles and schedules yet on that particular thread. Then again I'm only 5 pages or so into it.

On my phone so I cant link it, but the thread is called 1 gallon brewers UNITE!

This is good advice. Although I'm going to throw my 2cents in as well. I started one gallon batches for the same reasons you did and I found I had trouble getting the results I wanted because hopping is difficult with such a small batch. Your adding really small increments of hops meaning that if you miss your gravity or forget to check the AA% versus what you expect and it's off you can really miss you're mark. It gets harder the higher AA% you go. Just my opinion based off of four or five one gallon batches. That is why I moved up to 2.5 gallon batches. Much more manageable and still small enough that you can plow through them and brew a lot more.

Anyways, to answer your initial question I like I've been making plain old boring IPAs lately with like 95% basemalt (whatever floats your boat) and 5% crystal. Sometimes I'll sub in vienna or munich for a percentage of basemalt too. Mash low and ferment with an American Ale yeast.

As far as hops, anything American that starts with "C". Also really been digging on Galaxy lately if you can find them.

This is good advice. Although I'm going to throw my 2cents in as well. I started one gallon batches for the same reasons you did and I found I had trouble getting the results I wanted because hopping is difficult with such a small batch. Your adding really small increments of hops meaning that if you miss your gravity or forget to check the AA% versus what you expect and it's off you can really miss you're mark. It gets harder the higher AA% you go. Just my opinion based off of four or five one gallon batches. That is why I moved up to 2.5 gallon batches. Much more manageable and still small enough that you can plow through them and brew a lot more.

Anyways, to answer your initial question I like I've been making plain old boring IPAs lately with like 95% basemalt (whatever floats your boat) and 5% crystal. Sometimes I'll sub in vienna or munich for a percentage of basemalt too. Mash low and ferment with an American Ale yeast.

As far as hops, anything American that starts with "C". Also really been digging on Galaxy lately if you can find them.

Thanks!
I didn't think about the fact that the measurements will be much more difficult now that I have to essentially divide everything by five. I have a scale but it is only accurate to 0.1 oz. I can see how that will present problems using higher AA hops.
What sort of hop schedule do you prefer to make the Galaxy hop shine?

Galaxy is great as a fifteen minute flavor addition. For my galaxy pale ale recipe I do a 60 minute bittering hop (cascade b/c it's on hand usually) and then galaxy at fifteen and cascade at five. Dryhop with both cascade and galaxy. People describe Galaxy as a passion fruit flavor and I guess I get that or something like that. I really dig it when it's available. A bit expensive, but I think worth it. Don't waste it before fifteen minutes though. Really anytime after that it's great though.

Galaxy is great as a fifteen minute flavor addition. For my galaxy pale ale recipe I do a 60 minute bittering hop (cascade b/c it's on hand usually) and then galaxy at fifteen and cascade at five. Dryhop with both cascade and galaxy. People describe Galaxy as a passion fruit flavor and I guess I get that or something like that. I really dig it when it's available. A bit expensive, but I think worth it. Don't waste it before fifteen minutes though. Really anytime after that it's great though.

Ohhhhh man I'm sold. I lived in the Caribbean for a year and passion fruit was my absolute favorite fruit. I used to make a lightly sweetened tea out of it when it was 'in season.'
Thank you so much for the input!

Northern Brewer says they have them in stock online now. Although last time I was in there they were out and recommended the Australia Stella hops as a substitute so I'm trying those in my (Non-galaxy) Galaxy Pale Ale. We'll see how that turns out. I might order some if they have them or try somewhere else. I've got a hankering for them now.

Back