Alright Im confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman67

Reaction score
Im no electronics expert

The builds I see all seem to have contactors in them and the way I have mine figured I dont see a need for them

Can someone enlighten me on their application.

Thanks

Thanks

If I knew how to draw it I would post it but Im computer challenged

What I have planned is the hot legs hitting a termination block, then to fuses, then to 20 amp switches, one leg to the ssr one to the kettles

You could draw it by hand and have someone scan it for you...

But at a minimum, I'm sure the experts will want to know more about what you have planned before offering much advice.

Some basic questions will be:

How will you power the system and element(s) on and off?
How many elements will you use, and at what wattage?
If using more than one element, how will you switch between elements?
Are you using PIDs?

I'm not an expert either, but here's my understanding: Most are using contactors (relays) to carry the load for switching, so that a high amp switch is not required. The extra switching is really a safety factor (i.e to switch the element or entire panel off, so that it is really off). If using a 240v element, turning off one leg, only stops the heating function - but there is still power going to the element.

Hope this helps,

Moose

What I have planned is the hot legs hitting a termination block, then to fuses, then to 20 amp switches, one leg to the ssr one to the kettles

That sounds about right. A system does not need contactors, a DPST switch (dual on/off) is just fine. A real low-end system does not even need a switch if you are close enough to yank the plug. I for one have a lot of fun expanding the system from there though.

I used a 2 pole contactor for mine. This allowed me to put a mushroom head emergency stop button on the door. If there was a problem, even the wife knows to just hit the red large button to shut everything off. Necessary nah, but utility power here sometimes blinks off 3 or 4 times in a minute, the contactor would drop out needing reset, hopefully preventing some transient power from damaging the electronics.

Back