Honest Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Hargreaves

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP004 Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 62 degrees
I split this brew into a small partial mash plus a separate set of steeped grains, partly because I'm not set up to mash so much grain in one go, and also because I was worried about the high proportion of dark grains messing with my mash pH.

A couple of weeks before brew day, I toasted the flaked oats on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees until they were a rich golden color (about 20 minutes), then stored them in a brown paper bag to let them mellow.

Partial mash:

• 2.5 lb Pale Malt (6 Row)
  • 1.2 lb Flaked Oats (toasted)
Mashed for 1 hour at 154 degrees, then sparged with 168 degree water, adding first wort hops (random varieties left over from a previous brew):

• 1 oz Sterling leaf [7.00 %] (First Wort Hop)
  • 1 oz Goldings leaf [4.10 %] (First Wort Hop)
While the mash was in progress, I steeped the darker grains in my brew kettle, gradually raising them from cold to 150 degrees, then holding there for 40 minutes:

• 1 lb Roasted Barley
  • 1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
  • 0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
60 minute boil:

• 3 lb Light Dry Extract (late addition @ 5 minutes)
  • WLP004 Irish Ale

I'm very happy with it. Perfect mix of roasty/chocolate/coffee notes, and just the right amount of sweetness for my taste.

Yeah, just FWH.

I'm always torn about hopping for a stout. I like them with a very minimal amount of hop flavor, but want that way back in the background so it doesn't interfere with the more dominant roast flavors. And I don't really want any hop aroma. In the past I've made stouts with only bittering hops, and missed the absence of hop flavor. But the one time I added a small amount of flavor hops, it was too much and fought with the coffee aroma.

This recipe is the first time I tried using just FWH in a stout, and it did exactly what I was looking for. Nice smooth bitterness, with a subtle flavor contribution that sits very much in the background.

Now I'm on a kick to figure out what other recipes could benefit from FWH. I used it in an amber before, but didn't notice much effect there since any different flavors I got from it were drowned out by the late addition Cascades :)

Back