Corn starch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know in Papazans book he used it. Has anyone else used it? How much do you use in your batch, and how do you calculate it in your recipe formulation?
Cheers
JJ

I have it....actually I have 3 editions of it...I don' remember corn starch...where does he talk about it? I'd like to check up on that.
What is it used for? I would assume that you could make beer gravy if you use enough?

It’s in the section that he talks about fermentable sugars. I would give you the page # but I just lent the book to a friend yesterday. It’s in the back in the advance section, I was just reading about it a few days ago. He talks about adding it to the mash. You do have to mash it to convert the STARCH to sugar.
JJ

Doc was talking about it on a Sunday Session archive. I guess you have to add it to your mash because it needs to be converted. Sorry but that's about all I know about it.

Ive never used it but I would assume you can mash it to an end result not too different from using flaked corn or rice (added alc not flavor or color). corn starch shouldnt thicken the mash at normal mash temps unless you use a huge amount.

I'm not totally sure on the numbers but I think 1 lb of say 2-row has enough enzyme activity to convert half its weight in unmalted rice, corn, etc. 6 row maybe up to 3/4 or even 1:1. Now, corn starch has all of the husks etc. removed so one would have to estimate how much that amounted to and subtract that from the initial amount calculated.

Corn starch is also sometimes added to the boil (1-2 tbsp) to ensure a cloudy final product in the case of wheat beers.

I'm not totally sure on the numbers but I think 1 lb of say 2-row has enough enzyme activity to convert half its weight in unmalted rice, corn, etc. 6 row maybe up to 3/4 or even 1:1. Now, corn starch has all of the husks etc. removed so one would have to estimate how much that amounted to and subtract that from the initial amount calculated.

Corn starch is also sometimes added to the boil (1-2 tbsp) to ensure a cloudy final product in the case of wheat beers.[/QUOTE]

Cheating! :eek:

I've used corn starch in a beer as an adjunct in a CAP at about a 10% rate. Just mix it in well with the dry grist before you mash in. It works OK to lighten and dry the beer's body. Corn starch is the adjunct of choice in Coor's IIRC.

Back