Big Beer/ Long aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
So my Honey Oat stout is doing great. It had a SG of 1.070 and I racked it to a secondary today after almost 4 weeks the gravity was astonishingly 1.015!! So my original plan was to leave it in the secondary for a month then let it set in bottles for a month. Does anything really magical happen that month in the secondary considering it was in the primary for a month? Should I got straight to bottle and let it stew there or is there some benefit to storing in a secondary?

I'd say its time to bottle. A month in the primary is a good long time for maturity. Then add the 2ndary for another month. Well the beer should have dropped out a lot of yeast. Bottle the sucker and let it carb. Be generous with time in carbing as it can be a slow go.

The beer will probably drinkable in 2-3 weeks. It may taste hot though. It will be better in 2-4 months and even better after 6 months.

I'd say its one you can let sit for a long time. You'll only kick yourself if you drink it all too early.

Just to stir up a question-- will too much yeast drop out in 2 months time for priming sugar method to work?

Either way, I'd actually say just throw it in bottles now and skip the secondary all together. You aren't looking for too much clarity with a stout and it's just another step at which you can introduce some contamination.

Just to stir up a question-- will too much yeast drop out in 2 months time for priming sugar method to work?

Either way, I'd actually say just throw it in bottles now and skip the secondary all together. You aren't looking for too much clarity with a stout and it's just another step at which you can introduce some contamination.

There'll be plenty of yeast- it really doesn't take many of them to carb up your beer, but it may take a little bit longer for them to get the job done.

Back