Pumpkin Ale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max42

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a GF Pumpkin ale. I saw a recipe on the forum (I can't recall the OP) as follows:

6 lbs Sorghum Syrup (60 min)
1 lb 3 oz. Sorghum, roasted (20 SRM)
2.1 oz East Kent Goldings, pellet 4.5% (60 min)
32 oz Pumpkin Puree (30 min)
32 oz Pumpkin Pie Filling (30 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
1.25 tsp McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice (10 min)
8 oz Malto-Dextrine (5 min)
1 lb 8 oz Honey (flameout)
1 pkg Nottingham

Does anyone know how Pumpkin Puree and Pumpkin Pie Filling are entered into Beer Smith?

Any other tried and true pumpkin ales using pumpkin?

thanks

Thanks. I started searching other pumpkin beer recipes in the BeerSmith cloud to see what I could find. Looks like all used the pumpkin in the boil as you did are just entered "pumpkin purée" as a flavor or spice ingredient. So effectively it added nothing towards fermentability. So I guess I'll do that since it looks that no one else brews with pumpkin in the boil vs mash.

Can you tell me why you used both purée and pie filling? My thought was because that's what you had but aren't they the same?

How did the beer turn out? I'm probably going to brew this over the weekend.

I had a heck of a time bottling with pumpkin puree. It seemed like I was having to clean my strainer for each bottle. Unless you use secondary fermenters (and good strainers), another option would be to juice the pumpkin and add the juice in at burnout or the fermenter.

Good luck though and keep us posted on how it turns out, gotta love pumpkin beers!

I'm late to this party.... but... do you really want all the pumpkin in your boil kettle? That sounds like a nightmare.

As a rule of thumb I'd say never use goopy ingredients without a secondary fermentation. GF brewing is hard enough without subjecting yourself to primary-only, and adding a secondary is really easy. You can even use your bottling bucket as an intermediate so you can rinse out your primary and rack back into it for secondary.

I brewed the pumpkin ale today. Here is the recipe I went with (comments welcome).

3 lbs brown rice syrup (60 min)
8 oz Malto-Dextrine ( 60min)
3 lbs Sorghum Syrup (10 min)
1 lb D45 Candi Syrup
1.3 oz East Kent Goldings, pellet 7.2% (60 min)
64 oz Pumpkin Puree (30 min)
1 tab whirlflock (15 min)
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)
1.25 tsp McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice (10 min)
1 lb 8 oz Honey (flameout)
2 pkg Windsor yeast

I roasted the pumpkin purée in the oven for 50 min. I use a hop spider and decided to add the pumpkin into the hop spider as I wasn't sure how much pumpkin may settle out and wanted to minimize how much going through my plate chiller. Most obviously dissolved into the boil and little remained with the hop residue. This was a 5.5 gal batch but I ended up with 6 gallons. OG was 1.052.

Latest posts

Back