Biscuits and Marmalade Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterTipsy

Reaction score
[size=+2]Recipe: Biscuits and Marmalade Ale[/size]

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.9 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Estimated ABV: 6.6%

Ingredients:
Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6.00 gal              filtered water                           Water         1        -             

8.0 oz                Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)                  Grain         2        4.8 %         
8.0 oz                Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)   Grain         3        4.8 %         
8.0 oz                Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                    Grain         4        4.8 %         
4.0 oz                Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM)          Grain         5        2.4 %         

8 lbs                 LME Pilsen Light (Briess) (2.3 SRM)      Extract       6        76.2 %        
12.0 oz               Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM)                 Sugar         7        7.1 %         

0.75 oz               Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           8        13.4 IBUs     
1.50 oz               Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min        Hop           9        16.2 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 mins)     Spice         10       -             
1.75 oz               Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min         Hop           11       6.2 IBUs      

1.0 pkg               SafBrew Specialty Ale (#T-58)            Yeast         12       -

I will use a half a tablet of whirlfloc in the boil too.

I'm going to brew this soon. I've never used Pacifica hops. They are supposed to have an orange marmalade flavor.

Any suggestions for modification are appreciated.

I might dry hop with something floral, but won't make that call until after primary fermentation.

Anyone brew an all Pacifica beer? I'm curious how orange marmaladey Pacifica is.

marmalade-sl-257792-l.jpg

marmalade-recipe-frames.jpg

Sorry! I've never used Pacifica hops, and I never heard that they were like orange marmalade, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how yours comes out.

It's ok. :ban:

Pacifica doesn't appear on most hop charts
Here is one description

Pacifica (NZ)
AA Range: 5 -6%
Characteristics: Orange marmalade flavor, with some citrus and floral character as well.
Substitutes: Possibly a combination of Mittlefruh and Amarillo.

There was no airlock activity after 36 hours and I ferment in a bucket, so I opened it up to see what was going on. The yeast was looking good and apparently working fine. The batch smelled nice. Citrusy from the hops and orange peel. The biscuit, honey malt and CaraVienna made it smell a bit like vanilla wafers too.

I hadn't used T-58 until now. I get the impression it isn't a vigorous fermenter.

10 days later it's down to 1.020, but 1.013 was expected. Oh no. Is my beer ruined? What went wrong? Help!

Just kidding. I'm going to let it sit in the primary and see if it attenuates more. Maybe I'll raise the ambient temp from 68 to 74.

T-58 is supposed to be a fast working yeast that attenuates well. So far neither is true for my batch, but it appears to be working.

The batch did smell nice. Definitely orange marmaladey. Haven't tasted it yet.

If it doesn't attenuate further, I may drop some more T-58 in there. This beer might actually be OK if it stays at 1.020 and ends up a little sweeter. It's 5.5% abv right now. 6.5% was the target.

Would you pitch more T-58 if it stays at 1.020 instead of 1.013?

Don't worry, my gravity dropped to 1.016. I know you were really worried. :rolleyes:

I sampled it after 3 weeks in the primary. Definitely orangey. Apparently Pacifica is a mild hop. I used 4oz in the boil and the hop flavor isn't strong. It seems like it will taste good with some carbonation. The caramel malts are milder than I expected too.

There wasn't much in the aroma beyond orange so I dry hopped with 2oz of Fuggles.

I've got an ale fermenting at the moment with 50g Pacifica used at flame out and steeped for 30 mins. Almost finsiehd fermenting and there is an overwhelming orange aroma in the fermentation chamber. Hydro sample has the same aroma. Not sure if I like the flavour yet. May have used too much. Will get it carbed up in a couple of weeks and report back.

Hard to describe but it's a "full" aroma. I think it would be good for supporting hop aromas that might be perceived as "thin".

MisterTipsy said:
Don't worry, my gravity dropped to 1.016. I know you were really worried. :rolleyes:

I sampled it after 3 weeks in the primary. Definitely orangey. Apparently Pacifica is a mild hop. I used 4oz in the boil and the hop flavor isn't strong. It seems like it will taste good with some carbonation. The caramel malts are milder than I expected too.

There wasn't much in the aroma beyond orange so I dry hopped with 2oz of Fuggles.

Just wondering why you chose fuggles over something citrusy or spicy maybe? Have you thought About adding something at bottling?

Is it orangey because of the hops or orange peel?

Fuggles only because that's what I had at the time. Sounds like an odd choice, but the end result was good. Next time I make it, I'll use something different for a dry hop. Something citrusy and floral.

It's orangey because of both the orange peel and the hops. They have different and complimentary flavors. The hops have more of a sweet orange juice flavor. (At least they do with this combination of grain)

I thought about bottling with honey and might do that next time. This batch is almost gone. I enjoyed it.

MisterTipsy said:
Fuggles only because that's what I had at the time. Sounds like an odd choice, but the end result was good. Next time I make it, I'll use something different for a dry hop. Something citrusy and floral.

I think fuggles could balance it out but was just wondering.

I heard summit also has a sweet orange flavor but haven't used it. Have you thought about trying that?

I've never used Summit. It's description is orange/tangerine with a high AA. Sounds like a good one. I'll try that someday.

I think there was a thread a little while ago where half the people said summit was tangerine and the other half said onions

Back