Is there a way to tell the OG after fermentation has started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBC

Reaction score
Drunkenly made a batch of alcoholic ginger beer on Sunday. I took the OG but neglected to write it down. I've taken a hydrometer reading today and it is sitting at 1.014. There is still some fermentation happening and I was expecting it to be a low alcohol level brew. Is there anyway that I can tell what the original gravity was at this stage? I assume it's too late and will just have to guess. I used a brew enhancer that had 500g of dextrose in it for a 23 litre batch.

If not i'll just have to figure it out by guessing after having a few of them.

If it's an extract recipe it's hard not to hit the predicted OG if you put the correct amount of wort in the fermenter :) You can put the recipe into a brew app and it will tell you what the OG should have been...most recipes come with this info.

It was an extract recipe. The packaging doesn't have what the OG should have been on it like most of the ones I have done before. Can you link me to one of these brew apps?

Thanks.

One way is to use a current refractometer plus a current hydrometer reading. There are calculators that can determine OG I don't have an app for this...my phone is a land line.

Thanks heaps guys. Think i've come to the conclusion it was 1.030. Just a good lesson not to forget to measure at the beginning. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back