anyone smoking easter dinner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a good way to smoke a ham. Need to find an uncured ham first I believe, but not 100%. Still looking into that. Anyone else done a ham?

Planning a prime rib on the big green egg, not too much smoke but just a bit (apple maybe).

If you are looking for a raw ham that isn't brined already you are way behind as they need to cure/brine for a long time before they are ready to smoke. But I have smoked several hams that you buy in the store and they are awesome. Slather with some mustard and your favorite rub and put it on the smoker. They are already cured and smoked so you are basically just heating it up to serve like you would in an oven but the flavor of smoking it again is awesome. Low and slow and take it up to around 165. We do it all the time. I am smoking a turkey for Easter this year. We usually smoke a turkey for just about every holiday.

If you are looking for a raw ham that isn't brined already you are way behind as they need to cure/brine for a long time before they are ready to smoke. But I have smoked several hams that you buy in the store and they are awesome. Slather with some mustard and your favorite rub and put it on the smoker. They are already cured and smoked so you are basically just heating it up to serve like you would in an oven but the flavor of smoking it again is awesome. Low and slow and take it up to around 165. We do it all the time. I am smoking a turkey for Easter this year. We usually smoke a turkey for just about every holiday.

Any tips to smoking that turkey? I thought about doing one this weekend.

put them on a cheapo rack, and put it in a foil pan. I rubbed some butter under the skin, then dry rub. Packed the cavity with some onions. and then just smoked it till it was done. I forget my temps, always have to look them up.

I always brine my birds before I smoke them but you don't have to. Last Thanksgiving I smoked up 9 birds in my smoke house and everyone loved them. My family and I had a few and the rest were for people at work who wanted a bird smoked for them. I actually smoked them ahead of time and froze them and then everyone reheated them on low heat with some chicken broth in a roaster or in the oven. So nice and juicy and not to smokey. I didn't want the smoke to be very strong since some people don't care to much for a lot of smoke flavor. I usually smoke mine at around 250 degrees and take it until I reach an internal temp of around 170 degrees. Depending on the size of the bird it can take from 4-6 hours. I know a lot of guys who also smoke at much higher temps or at least crank the temps up at the end to crisp up the skin. Make sure you go by internal temp and not the amount of time as you don't want anyone to get sick.

Back