Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve99

Reaction score
Hi guys,
It was the first time yesterday that I brew a beer with ingredient that needs to be boiled. I had to boil the malt and the hop.

60 minutes later, I cold it till 70 degrees. Now comes the fun. I need to siphon it without the sediments. How would you do that since all the green stuff (probably hops) isn't in the bottom of the pot but is almost everywhere in it ?

Please help.

I use a fine-mesh collander that I bought from Target, just dump the (COOLED!) wort right through it into the primary. This has the added benefit of re-aerating the wort, since you've driven off all the O2 in the wort while boiling.

Another popular strategy is to whirlpool: after chilling the wort, stir it vigorously in a circular pattern for 2-3 minutes. (Really get it moving). Then put the lid on and let it rest 20 minutes. This will allow the trub to settle out into a cone in the center of the kettle bottom. YUou can now siphon off the edge of the pan bottom and pick up very little of the trub.

Is that Whirlpool technique really working or should I go buy a mesh bag ?

Either way works. But yes, the whirlpool idea really does work. Depending on the size of your brew kettle and how much wort you have in it, siphoning can be a lot easier than lifting and pouring.

Ooooooorrrrr...

you can just dump the sludge into the fermenter and not worry about it. I used to do that all the time. No issues from it.

-walker

Agreed, I dump mine as well and I don't rack to 2ndary. It does help to chill the fermented beer down as far as you can (without freezing) before bottling/kegging though.

I try to keep all the trub out of my fermenter that I can, and do a good job of it by
whirpooling and siphoning. You do have to let it settle a bit before siphoning and the worst part is you do tend to leave some wort behind in the trub if you don't srceen and siphon.

Back