Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's Christmas day. Woke up at 6am, fired up the smoker and threw on a big pork shoulder for some pulled pork tonight. I put on a wild dry rub from TexasBBQRub.com yesterday and I'll be making a red sauce to go with it.

pulled_pork1.jpg

pulled_pork_1_.jpg

It's Christmas day. Woke up at 6am, fired up the smoker and threw on a big pork shoulder for some pulled pork tonight. I put on a wild dry rub from TexasBBQRub.com yesterday and I'll be making a red sauce to go with it.

That sounds great! We had our Christmas dinner last night- a leg of lamb, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus, etc. Today is the first Christmas I didn't have my kids living with me, so it's quiet and weird. We're going to my daughters in a little while, though.

We don't have a smoker, but maybe we'll play "hide the salami" later! ;)

We don't have a smoker, but maybe we'll play "hide the salami" later! ;)

Niiiiccce. :rockin:

I smoked a 9lb brisket, 2 chickens, and 2 slabs of pork spare ribs on Wednesday for my work Christmas party. It turned out great, and I did a batch of BM's Centennial Blonde at the same time.

Then when the party was all done, and I had the leftovers packed up and ready to take home, I knocked the 2 pans over and shattered them. I could care less about the pans, but after 13 hours in 25° weather, it really sucked to see it covered in broken glass. Not that there was a lot left, but enough for a good dinner that night. :(

I did a brisket to go along with the turkey. Marinated in maui rib sauce overnight, then put a standard rub on with extra brown sugar. Turned out great. Maybe a little dry, but still great.
web.jpg

hot. i'd love to go cold, but i don't have the set up for it and it's a little chilly out to start tinkering.

Cold smoking is easy as hell, especially in this weather, as long as it is above freezing out. All you need is a box (grill, smoker, even a cardboard box), some wood chips (not chunks or dust), a small coffee or large soup can, and a brand new soldering iron. It will take less than 5 minutes to set up and will work great.

Probably too late now though because for cold smoking you need to use a curing salt which you probably wont have in the brine for a hot smoke.

Cold smoking is easy as hell, especially in this weather, as long as it is above freezing out. All you need is a box (grill, smoker, even a cardboard box), some wood chips (not chunks or dust), a small coffee or large soup can, and a brand new soldering iron. It will take less than 5 minutes to set up and will work great.

Probably too late now though because for cold smoking you need to use a curing salt which you probably wont have in the brine for a hot smoke.

it is not. possibly this weekend, though. i may just have to give it a try then. any ideas on what to try and cold smoke as a first attempt?

it is not. possibly this weekend, though. i may just have to give it a try then. any ideas on what to try and cold smoke as a first attempt?

Cheese and nuts are popular because they don't involve and prep or curing or anything.

I'm spit roasting a 22lb pork leg this Friday for our New Years feast. Will take pics and report back!

(I know it's not smoking, but... it seemed relevant).

A little late to the thread and sorry no pics but I smoked a 15lb turkey on my ugly drum on Christmas day. My poor kids had to wait to open gifts while I got the turkey going. Total smoke was about 8 hours and I used some apple wood from the back yard.

I made the brine and rub from thesmokerking.com. It turned out great! Some of the best turkey I have had even though it was in my moms freezer for several years.

Cheese and nuts are popular because they don't involve and prep or curing or anything.

ah! forgot about cheese. i've been meaning to take a crack at that for a while now. thanks for the suggestion. :rockin:

I wish. My smoker is out of commission. I am hoping to have it rebuilt along with a 2nd one for super bowl though.

^^^ Same boat here, the bottom of the firebox on mine gave out after last weeks bbq. I haven't decided if I'll fix it or not, been wanting something bigger.

I've got 15 pounds of shoulder on the smoker today for an open house/christen the keezer get together tomorrow.

Oatmeal Stout, Old Ale, Bass clone, Apfelwein and pop for the kids. :ban:

I might report back, but it will probably be in DRMM at that point. :D

Enjoy!

^^^ Same boat here, the bottom of the firebox on mine gave out after last weeks bbq. I haven't decided if I'll fix it or not, been wanting something bigger.

I am just having trouble holding temp and the seals on two of the intakes broke. I could probably fix it but there are some things that I just want to do differently so i will scrap it. I will start over and this time make twins! I will have the drums Monday or Tuesday and hopefully have them built along with a couple more for friends next weekend. :rockin:

Just pulled a maple bourbon glazed ham and a rack of ribs off the smoker. The ham was done a bit sooner than I anticipated....so it's wrapped in some foil, and sitting in a cooler until dinner timer.

Fired up the WSM around 7 am put a couple racks of ribs on and will be drinking a Spiced Belgion Double with some freinds this afternoon. Good times...

I'm gonna drag mine out next week while I'm home. Don't know what to put on it though. Maybe a Fattie of some sort and some pork loin. If you smoke a whole loin, then slice and freeze in a food saver. Does the smoker flavor stick around? Or should I only smoke a portion and freeze the rest prior?

I've frozen ribs and when I warmed them they tasted just like they came off the smoker.

Hoping to drag mine out this Sunday during my brew day to have something to take to a superbo party. I'm a complete noon though. Only used my smoker once for an 11 hour smoke of 11lbs of pork but. Thinking a pork loin.

There must be something in the air for pork and belgian's. I'm going to lay a piece of sheet metal in the fire box on my smoker for now so I can do an 8.5lb pork loin tomorrow, and I'm doing a delirium clone.

I'll probably toss a couple chicks on too, they had them on sale for .49/lb so I have several in the freezer. It's supposed to be near 70 also, so a great day all around, I hope.

There must be something in the air for pork and belgian's. I'm going to lay a piece of sheet metal in the fire box on my smoker for now so I can do an 8.5lb pork loin tomorrow, and I'm doing a delirium clone.

I'll probably toss a couple chicks on too, they had them on sale for .49/lb so I have several in the freezer. It's supposed to be near 70 also, so a great day all around, I hope.

It's warm all over the country right now. Weird. I think the cold is coming again for the north, tho.

I love the boil when there is zested orange in there. Man, that smells good. Bit of hallertau, wheat/barley malt frothing, and orange zest. Mmm mmm. And chili powder rub steaming off the pork. Man I can't wait.

It's warm all over the country right now. Weird. I think the cold is coming again for the north, tho.

I love the boil when there is zested orange in there. Man, that smells good. Bit of hallertau, wheat/barley malt frothing, and orange zest. Mmm mmm. And chili powder rub steaming off the pork. Man I can't wait.

Yep, it's supposed to cool off a bit here after tomorrow. About 6 more years and I'll be heading a little south of you though. Counting the days.

No zested orange for me. Some coriander, ginger & paradise though. Should be some nice aroma's coming off there.

The loin is marinating in a mixture of chili powder, red pepper, candied jalapeno, brown sugar, vinegar, caramelized onion, apple juice, worcesteshire, garlic and tomatoe. The marinade will get used for the mop and sauce also. I'm starting to salivate just typing it out.

Yep, it's supposed to cool off a bit here after tomorrow. About 6 more years and I'll be heading a little south of you though. Counting the days.

No zested orange for me. Some coriander, ginger & paradise though. Should be some nice aroma's coming off there.

The loin is marinating in a mixture of chili powder, red pepper, candied jalapeno, brown sugar, vinegar, caramelized onion, apple juice, worcesteshire, garlic and tomatoe. The marinade will get used for the mop and sauce also. I'm starting to salivate just typing it out.

I have a rub of some similar ingredients. Tomorrow, around 6am, the orgy begins. A cataclysm of pork and hickory and barley and zested orange and me. Good luck to you.

Back