Food Grade Dry Ice Cooling didnt work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eluna

Reaction score
well i learned something today i boiled 5 gallons of water 200+f and put in 5 Lbs of dry Ice of -132F and almost nothing happened since dry ices Boiling temperature is 68F but water boils at 4times that temperature so the laden heat effect kicks in and just Blows all its energy out really fast instead of slowly For Example Heat up a pan extremely hot and wet your hand and flick water on it and the water wont sizzle and evaporate instantly it will turn into a ball roll around

But o well it was fun and i decided to grab a thief and fill a small water bottle with some beer from a beer that is secondarying and carb it tasted pretty good:mug: also filled a couple bottles with a bit of water and dry ice and shoot them with a 1860 New Army 44 Cal Revolver BP

l_b8d83d9635cf41df871bf396f84728d8.jpg

You need to learn how to use punctuation, grammar, and the English language in general. You just wrote one giant nonsensical contradictary run-on sentence. I have no clue what you said other than you put dry ice into your brew pot and you apparently learned something.

The only reason I even replied is because I am actually curious as to what happened. Please re-explain your story in English.

contradictary

Don't forget your own spell check.

I though of doing the same thing but then I realized I would of probably do something stupid instead. Like seal it into a bottle with some water and add weight to it so it would go boom at the bottom of the canal.

Don't forget your own spell check.

Notice I never said a thing about spelling. =P And hey, I was one letter off!

Anyway, I know I came off pretty damn brash but really, it just bugs me that we American people nowadays can be so completely incapable of communicating. I damn near blow a gasket every time I see someone interchange your/you're or type "would of" instead of "would've".

I realized I would of probably

I know grammer nazism is a no-no on forums and comment boards, but I can't help it sometimes. :off:
In the end, I just want to know what the hell happened - as does everyone else who took the time to read this post, I'm sure. His gigantic incoherent sentence did not accomplish that task.

i use dry ice to chill my wort all the time. i use a slightly different method than you do but it works. i get a small tub of water thats big enough to set the brew pot in. fill it part way with ice water. when brewing is done and your ready to cool i drop the dry ice in the tub of ice water then put the pot in on top of that. then hook up my wort chiller and let it do its thing. the dry ice keeps the water in the tub cold and seems to make the cooling much faster than just a wort chiller alone.

well i learned something today i boiled 5 gallons of water 200+f and put in 5 Lbs of dry Ice of -132F and almost nothing happened since dry ices Boiling temperature is 68F but water boils at 4times that temperature so the laden heat effect kicks in and just Blows all its energy out really fast instead of slowly For Example Heat up a pan extremely hot and wet your hand and flick water on it and the water wont sizzle and evaporate instantly it will turn into a ball roll around

But o well it was fun and i decided to grab a thief and fill a small water bottle with some beer from a beer that is secondarying and carb it tasted pretty good:mug: also filled a couple bottles with a bit of water and dry ice and shoot them with a 1860 New Army 44 Cal Revolver BP

l_b8d83d9635cf41df871bf396f84728d8.jpg

I got one of them! It's a cheap kit gun with a brass frame. Haven't shot it in years.

Also, dry ice (aka solid carbon dioxide) sublimes directly from the solid to gaseous form at -109 F, not 68 F.

Yep, so as cold as the ice was (barely colder than sublimation temp), you didn't cool your wort down because the wort raised it to sublimation, and then you just had a cloud of cold CO2 above the wort which wasn't doing anything to cool the wort down. Ever notice how when someone puts dry ice into colored water for that mad scientist effect how the water somehow never freezes?

Dry ice can be dangerous if ingested. I was reading a website on dry ice and it recommends against that. Could you imagine if you drank dry ice. I was just reading an article about an MA kid that did it. What are the advantages to keeping drinks cold with dry ice?

Dry ice can be dangerous if ingested. I was reading a website on dry ice and it recommends against that. Could you imagine if you drank dry ice. I was just reading an article about an MA kid that did it. What are the advantages to keeping drinks cold with dry ice?

THe only way dry ice is dangerous is if you eat the solid stuff, and it's only dangerous because it's very cold and expands a lot as it sublimes to a gas. Dry ice is just solid CO2, you drink CO2 in every beer you down...

Dry ice can be dangerous if ingested. I was reading a website on dry ice and it recommends against that. Could you imagine if you drank dry ice

Did you know that dihydrogen monoxide is deadly too? And it's in BEER.

The Center for Disease Control reports that every day, about nine people die of hydrogen hydroxide overexposure - this stuff is everywhere too, in some places the saturation level in the air is over 90%!

Back