Dry Hopping vs Late Boil Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on adding flavor/aroma hops near the end of the boil/at flameout, or by dry hopping.

I'm looking to add an ounce of Saaz to my recipe purely for flavor and aroma. I'm already adding a half ounce of cascade over the last twenty minutes of my boil. Will I benefit more from adding the hops during the boil or dry hopping in the keg for a week before priming? Adding these to the boil will be a little easier for me, but will dry hopping yield more desirable results?

Looking for opinions on adding flavor/aroma hops near the end of the boil/at flameout, or by dry hopping.

I'm looking to add an ounce of Saaz to my recipe purely for flavor and aroma. I'm already adding a half ounce of cascade over the last twenty minutes of my boil. Will I benefit more from adding the hops during the boil or dry hopping in the keg for a week before priming? Adding these to the boil will be a little easier for me, but will dry hopping yield more desirable results?

BYO will give you all you need to know: http://***********/stories/recipes/article/indices/37-hops/573-dry-hopping-techniques

As for my opinion, I would say at the saaz at flameout.

You get different extraction and evaporation profiles, so it's hard to compare. However, dry hopping is much more common than flame-out additions and my experience is the closer you dry hop to kegging/bottling, the better.

I'll add that without an aroma add around 5 minutes, dry hopping won't fix a beer.

For me, I've found two things to be true about hop additions. FWH adds more flavor than 20 min additions and dry-hopping adds more aroma & flavor to a lesser degree than 5-0 min additions. That's just my experience.

If you want subtle, add during boil or at flame-out. If you want aroma/flavor dry-hop. Aroma is a HUGE part of what we taste, thus a pale ale without a huge malt backbone with 3 oz. of dry-hops will seem as hoppy as an IPA while an IPA with a very small amount or no dry-hopping will seem more like an APA. I'm not saying that's a rule, just a generality and I'm saying it will 'seem' because of perception based on the 'hoppiness' of said beer. Hope that helps in some way.

Schlante,
Phillip

Back