I think its stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gristulin

Reaction score
I brewed Jimils Sweet Stout on Saturday. It started slow, but was going good as of Sunday afternoon, but by Monday morning, nothing. And I haven't seen any action still, and it's Wed. OG was 1.062. Now 1.036. Used Wyeast 1028, London Ale. Any ideas?

No bubbles in the airlock ?

let me guess you are brewing in a bucket?

as i'm sure Revvy will tell you before i can. no bubbles don't mean anything. take a gravity reading. then wait a few days and take another. if its dropped then you have fermentation.

No bubbles in the airlock ?

TSK, TSK...you mean to tell me that despite the fact that your HYDROMETER, you think something is wrong because your stoopid airlock isn't bubbling???;)

You're ignoring the TRUE ACTIVITY, the decrease in gravity, for the superficial.

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years..

You'll be much happier if you get out of that habit...you will find that fermentations rarely don't take off, or just Stop...In fact I've never had a beer not ferment. BUT half of my fermentations, spread out across 9 different fermenters, never blip once in the airlock.

So go with the hydrometer and not anything faulty like an airlock. It bubbles, or it doesn't bubble, and it doesn't really mean anything.

:mug:

(How's that tipsy?;))

I was thinking the same thing Wellshooter is not the OP. Anyway fermentation starts crazy then slows using the hydrometer will keep giving you information. More than halfway in a few days is good, it is probably just slowing down.

I just used that strain of yeast last week. I thought the same thing. I just picked up the bucket by it's handle and gave it a quick 180 degree turn (in hopes to stir up yeast that may have gone dormant due to temperature change or something of the like) and then set it down. Within 30 minutes, the airlock was consistently bubbling away again and continued to for the next 3 or so days.

No I am not fermenting in a bucket, but thanx for assuming. I'm not that green, just never had everything seem to stop on a dime like this after only 2 days. thanx 4 the reassurance revvy:)

Back