Converting 60Qt Igloo Cube Cooler to Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGrills

Reaction score
I purcahsed a 60Qt Igloo Cube Cooler to use as my mash tun. Previously I had been using my stainless Boil pot which holds heat ok but is not big enough for me to do 10gal batches.

This particular cooler is on wheels and the drain port is on the wheel side about 3 inches above the bottom of the cooler. I have 2 concerns about using the existing port.

1. The height of the port on the side of the cooler means I could leave a good bit of wort behind while sparging

2. If I add a bulk head fitting I will not be able to wheel cooler when I want to use it as a cooler

The alternative is to drill a hole on the oppisite side as low as possible and add a bulkhead fitting there. I don't like this alternative because of the realtive weakness of the cooler housing.

As an FYI - I will most likely be using a bazooka screen. I will attached it to copper elbow if I go with the existing port.

I would appreciate any feedback you guys can provide. :confused:

What do you mean by "weakness of the cooler housing"? If you look at my weldless bulkhead thread linked in my sig, there's talk of reinforcing the space between the walls of the cooler.

I took a look at the thread you suggested. This appears to be worakable but not my ideal way of completing the project.

Ideally,I would like to use the existing hole and its solid construction but I am concerned with the height of the port relative to the bottom of the cooler and the amount of "wasted" wort I might have. Any thoughts regarding this?

I may have just purchased the same cooler from walmart, and I used basically the same hardware in that you'll see in this thread about converting a 10 Gallon Rubbermaid. I used a CPVC Manifold instead of a braid though.

With the manifold, even when the level of the wort is below the drain spigot, you have a siphon effect going, so it doesn't actually stop until it hits the bottom of the manifold. On mine, the wall for the drain port is actually angled up, so I had to use a 45 degree fitting to make it level, then a 90 degree fitting to get to the manifold.

As for using it as a cooler, I think my 1/2 ball valve doesn't actually hit the ground, but I'm not 100% sure. The cooler was only like $30, and I'm getting a heck of a lot of use out of it as a homebrew equipment storage device, and considering the amount of time it took to get everything working, I would just as soon buy a second cooler before I use this one as a cooler. But that's my opinion :)

BTW, I think you probably should post this kind of question in DIY Projects.

I converted this same cooler and was concerned about the level of spigot since I'm using a SS braid.

I used a couple of nipples and a 90 degree angle to get the pickup to the bottom of the cooler.

Latest posts

Back