Beer Floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopvine

Reaction score
I'm drinking a pale ale and noticed a bunch of particulate floaters hovering in the beer.

EDIT: This is Bell's Pale Ale

What are these?

img2068c.jpg

That looks to me like un settled trub. Was this beer just pulled from
a keg that was naturally carbed? If so after a few more pints and
left to set awhile it should clear up.

still looks like trub... probably stuff that transfered over when you went from your fermenter to the bottle.

Did you use a secondary fermenter? Did you filter it when going from the fermenter to the bottle?

Did you use Notty yeast? I have terrible floaters that haven't settled out after 2 weeks in primary, 3 in secondary, and 3 in the bottle on my first brew with Notty. It could be something else entirely, though.

Looks like it was bottle conditioned, well aged, and agitated prior to pouring. Someone playing silly bugger with you?

This is a Bell's Pale Ale. Every beer in the 6-pack poured like this.

To make DOUBLY sure that it wasn't me pouring like a tard, I just went back and poured another as carefully as I possibly could (I'm only doing this for you guys I swear!). I left a more-than-usual amount in the bottle, and the floaties are still present.

I know Bell's bottle conditions, but I've never had anything like this from one of my bottle conditioned brews.

happened to me twice for two different batches, no odd tastes, the beer was as good as usual, i drank the whole batches that were like that.

Never could figure out what it was, nothing was done differently during the brewing/bottling process.

IMG_0046.jpg

It was agitated before you got it. All the yeast that had compacted on the bottom was broken up and sent into suspension. You'll fart a lot but other than that you'll be golden.

It was agitated before you got it. All the yeast that had compacted on the bottom was broken up and sent into suspension. You'll fart a lot but other than that you'll be golden.

I don't think it was yeast. The beer in the picture sat in my fridge for two weeks, and still poured that way. The same was true of the one I gently poured.

I don't think it's yeast either. I've gotten a few like this lately and even after 3 weeks in the fridge it just doesn't settle out. I think every Mikeller Ive ever bought has looked like this. A bit unsettling (pun intended ;)) to pay $15 for a pint of Beer Geek Brunch and actually get chunks in the last half of the bottle.

This was the sight through the glass of a Brasserie Des Rocs Belgian Brown tonight.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz332/daveotero/IMAG0506.jpg

Granted that was from the last pour of the bottle, the first pour wasn't much better. The taste was great but the appearance and chunky mouthfeel kind of ruin the experience.

I'm guessing it's some sort of coagulated protein matter. Anyone wanna pitch in and buy these guys some whirlfloc? :)

Latest posts

Back