Gotta Girlie Beer Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant get it to go any lower I Must have been to shi^ faced when we read the mash temp I tried more yeast warmer temp with 02 Injection
and you oxidized your beer? you don't want to add oxygen once fermentation has started, the beer now contains various compounds that shouldn't be exposed to O2.

and you oxidized your beer? you don't want to add oxygen once fermentation has started, the beer now contains various compounds that shouldn't be exposed to O2.

Just to see if the FG would drop to me its a lost cause I was really not worry about harming a 2.2ABV beer its all experimenting with it from here on out most like I will end up adding some wild Turkey just to get some ABV or dump it I draw the line with NA beers , I mean it was only geared to be a 4.5abv witch is on the light side exc.....

"Panty Dropper" is usually the colloquialism used for the type of beer you are looking for[/URL]" ;)
OMG I'M SO INSULTED i can't believe you used the word panty a clear reference to women's underwear hence you're generalizing about women everywhere some don't even like underwear so your use of the term is very exclusionary and furthermore its ascription of cultural clothing norms serves only to perpetuate preconceived notions of social expectations and assigned gender stereotypes you are such a pig!!!

also, anyone have a good mead recipe?

OMG I'M SO INSULTED i can't believe you used the word panty a clear reference to women's underwear hence you're generalizing about women everywhere some don't even like underwear so your use of the term is very exclusionary and furthermore its ascription of cultural clothing norms serves only to perpetuate preconceived notions of social expectations and assigned gender stereotypes you are such a pig!!!

Well technically I never made a reference to the gender of those wearing said garments....there are a few men who have a predilection for wearing them as well. I was just watching a documentary that mentioned that the director Ed Wood like to wear them, and didn't J Edgar Hoover as well?

*shudder*

;)

Revvy said:
Well technically I never made a reference to the gender of those wearing said garments....there are a few men who have a predilection for wearing them as well. I was just watching a documentary that mentioned that the director Ed Wood like to wear them, and didn't J Edgar Hoover as well?

*shudder*

;)

Men don't wear panties

-Marv Albert

Yooper said:
Pretty insulting title for this thread.

My favorite "girly beer" (10 gallons):
18 lbs two-row
4 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs 12.0 oz Caramunich II (Weyermann)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Magnum [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
3.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 5 days
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5 days

OG 1.065 IBUs 85

I propose a new BJCP style designation Girly pale ale or GPA for short!

Yooper has drank more horrible beer in front of me than I could. (She did throw in the towel 1 more sip after I did.) The wealth of knowledge she has helped me with my brewing/tasting/judging (in addition to opening my eyes to the fact that comments like "girlie beer" and the like are insulting and hurtful) is beyond my gratitude.

The fact is, each individuals taste is different. My wife loves stouts and wheat beers of the imperial variety and she is a "girly girl". I know another lady homebrewer who would tell you your IPA is sad and lacks hops and that can brew wines out of stuff that I never even thought of, that blow my mind.

I like terms that are not gender orientated like "porch pounder" for light sweet wines or "yellow fizzy" for light beers.

Had an extremely short conversaion with two of the girls in my life. They told me "no thanks" in a nice way about making a beer just for them. If I was going to brew a batch I was going to name it Split Tail Ale

"Panty Dropper" is usually the colloquialism used for the type of beer you are looking for, though it appears if you're in Nawlins, it's more of a "boobie beer." ;)

also, anyone have a good mead recipe?

What I find ironic is that calling a beer girly (in quotation marks) is offensive, but designing drinks so that one can take advantage of women is not.

Generalizations are generalizations. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. We all realize there are exceptions and no one is telling you that you have to like certain types of beer.

"Panty Dropper"... ;)

I believe I have the new name for my labels! LoL

I don't think asking for a girlie beer is insulting... There are lots of 'whats manly' crap out there so how is asking for something 'girlie' insulting?

As for the OP question... My sis in law doesn't like my hoppy Ales or anything with too much hop flavor. She lets me know! I did a Summer Ale and she drank that down like nothing... really liked it. She said she like 'lighter' colored beers... then drank a Pumpkin Spice Ale (dark). She liked that.

About 1 month later all I took over to her & her hubby's was an Aussie IPA (hoppy).... she had nothing else to drink & she liked that.

moral, each lady is different, some like dark stouts, some prefer lighter fruity beers.

Unless you are Yooper, you like em all!

"What's manly" is as stupid as "what's girlie".

Shhhh... That kind of talk is going to lead to a complete implosion of marketing products as we know it.

The only way to really introduce someone who "doesn't like beer" to beer is just sit them down and pour a number of samples of different beers for them. Not just light, mild, fruity beers. One of my old roommates used to only drink Busch Light. First time he had Two Hearted he loved it, and now he drinks IPAs all the time. And if they aren't interested in doing that, so be it. Not everyone likes beer, nor do they have to.

Most women I know that enjoy beer drink darker beers. Make a sweet stout or a nice dunkel. Nut brown ales are really great introductions to craft beers imo.

For the record my wife doesn't find this insulting. She might actually be disappointed there isn't more recipes for girly beer and this is mostly bitching about the thread title.

My Wife's Favourite Girly beer:

Recipe: Bounty-In-Arse
Style: Mild
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 18.93 L
Boil Size: 12.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 18.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.30 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 50.2 %
1.60 lb Maris Otter (4.0 SRM) Grain 24.3 %
1.10 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (235.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.08 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.2 %
22.00 gm Glacier [5.60%] (55 min) Hops 18.9 IBU
8.00 gm Glacier [5.60%] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 3.8 %
22.71 L Kamloops, BC Water
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.03 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.79 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 90 min
Mash Out Add 2.12 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Ferment @ 67F for 10 days will finish around 1.008. Then keg at 55F with 8 psi for at least a week. Do not over carb, turn your pressure down to 2-3 psi when serving.

All of this poured into a cooler and stirred pretty well. 30 pack of Keystone, handle of vodka, and a jar of pink lemonade mix. Done!

I have always heard of this using Busch heavy, and a 2-liter of Sprite added as well. Dangerous stuff regardless.

I might be wrong about the facts of this, but I recall reading once that "girlie" beers in Japan (meaning, "beer marketed mostly to women") were essentially highish-ABV darker, English-style sweet cask ales. The reasoning was that (generally) ladies over there liked sweetness over bitterness and weren't afraid of high alcohol since wine was viewed as popular among women.

I say this NOT to claim that such a beer would be favored by women generally (since that's a stupid concept, as Yooper and others have pointed out), but that cultures have different perceptions of femininity. Even inside a culture, the targets for this can change. Before the 1920's or so, pink was used as a "masculine" color for clothing for baby BOYS, and lighter blues were used for girls. By the end of WWII, pink was solidly cemented as a female color, and so it remains today. So don't get too hung up on these social constructs, as they shift a lot more than you'd think.

For the record my wife doesn't find this insulting. She might actually be disappointed there isn't more recipes for girly beer and this is mostly bitching about the thread title.

It's refreshing to know there are a a few people left on the planet that aren't insulted by every word in the English language.
Also, I am so glad you refereed to your wife as your wife and not the "girlie man" acronym SWMBO.
Kudos to you and your wife. :mug:

No Prob-

5 lbs 2 row
5 lbs wheat
0.5 lbs honey malt

60 minute mash at 152 F

1.25 oz UK Golding at 60 (Pellet)
0.5 oz Cascade at flame out (Pellet)

Yeast- S-05 or WLP001 or Notty- they all taste good. Ferment low-I hold the temp steady at 62 F

I used 10 red Prickly Prickly Pears. I peeled them (they have a thin skin that may come right off but there is another layer that is pretty thick- make sure to get that one off), froze them and threw them in after fermentation was complete. I didn't thaw them out, just toss them in

How big is the batch size ? OG ? FG ?

So you effectively threw the peeled prickly pears into the primary fermenter once fermentation stopped ? Did this restart fermentation for a bit ?

Thanks !

Sorry! Forgot 2 basic bits...

OG- 1.055
FG- 1.012

5 gallon batch

The Pears were peeled, frozen then pitched after fermentation- Correct. Honestly I don't know if fermentation kicked back up. I had 5 batches I was tending to in the fermentation chamber. I imagine it did but I didn't calculate the pear addition into OG or FG.

Sorry! Forgot 2 basic bits...

OG- 1.055
FG- 1.012

5 gallon batch

The Pears were peeled, frozen then pitched after fermentation- Correct. Honestly I don't know if fermentation kicked back up. I had 5 batches I was tending to in the fermentation chamber. I imagine it did but I didn't calculate the pear addition into OG or FG.

Looks like a great recipe. I can't wait to try it.

Sorry to ask so many questions... 5 gallons into the keg or 5 gallons into the fermenter ?

How hoppy is it after ageing ? My girl likes fruit and dislikes hops.

Thanks !

No Worries- it's 5 gallons into the keg. I usually shoot for about 5.5 into the fermentor. It's pretty clean and the hops don't come through very much. If she likes fruity beers, this is a win. Go for at least the 10 prickly pears. I am going to start using this recipe to keep a fruit beer on tap and just use what ever is in season around here. My wife really likes this one so I hope it works with other fruits as well.

No Worries- it's 5 gallons into the keg. I usually shoot for about 5.5 into the fermentor. It's pretty clean and the hops don't come through very much. If she likes fruity beers, this is a win. Go for at least the 10 prickly pears. I am going to start using this recipe to keep a fruit beer on tap and just use what ever is in season around here. My wife really likes this one so I hope it works with other fruits as well.

Many thanks for sharing this.

Anytime! Sorry I didn't get all the info in one post...

If anyone brews it, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Pretty insulting title for this thread.

My favorite "girly beer" (10 gallons):
18 lbs two-row
4 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs 12.0 oz Caramunich II (Weyermann)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Magnum [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
3.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 5 days
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5 days

OG 1.065 IBUs 85

Agreed, Yooper. Implying that girls can't handle heavy flavors or don't like "real" beers. I know, everyone here drinks "manly" beers like porters and RIS's. I've also known plenty of ladies that can put away more barleywine than I'd ever care to.

I'm not usually one to stump for PC-ness, but I don't understand why this type of chauvinism continues to get a free pass. If it were based on, for example, race-based stereotypes (rather than gender), it would never fly.

OK rant over, let the responses commence!

Also, I should admit up front that I find myself doing this too, although I'm trying to fix it. Bad habits can be hard to kick!

Edit--realized belatedly that this thread's been worked over pretty well already, with others making the same points I made much better than I could! Note to self, read the whole conversation before adding...

This thread has more butt hurt than a prison shower.

I'm not usually one to stump for PC-ness, but I don't understand why this type of chauvinism continues to get a free pass. If it were based on, for example, race-based stereotypes (rather than gender), it would never fly.

OK rant over, let the responses commence!

I'm not usually one to be PC all the time, but I got raked over the coals for saying that calling a non-beer a "girly beer" was insulting.

And it is. There ARE women on this forum who brew, and can probably brew better than some of the men who felt that demeaning women and their taste is fine. This is not a men-only playroom, and it is hurtful when someone expresses an opinion and being told that their feelings don't matter. The fact that some of you have a penis doesn't give you the right to demean those who don't.

Call it "bitching" about the thread title, but I have always been respectful of each and every one of you and have never been dismissive like that.

In any case, I still go back to what the OP finally decided- making a beer for people who don't like beer is futile.

I'm not usually one to be PC all the time, but I got raked over the coals for saying that calling a non-beer a "girly beer" was insulting.

And it is. There ARE women on this forum who brew, and can probably brew better than some of the men who felt that demeaning women and their taste is fine. This is not a men-only playroom, and it is hurtful when someone expresses an opinion and being told that their feelings don't matter. The fact that some of you have a penis doesn't give you the right to demean those who don't.

Call it "bitching" about the thread title, but I have always been respectful of each and every one of you and have never been dismissive like that.

In any case, I still go back to what the OP finally decided- making a beer for people who don't like beer is futile.

Sorry if my comment was misunderstood, I'm completely in your corner on this one. My point was, the type of generalizations (with negative connotations for many, if not all) that people continue today to apply to women would NEVER fly if applied to another recognized category, for example, race. Could you imagine the uproar that would ensue if someone started a thread requesting beer styles for a particular people group, because "most of them" don't like hoppy beers, or strong beers, or fruity beers, or whatever?

And the arguments that are often raised in defense of this type of essentializing, again if applied on a racial/ethnic or other category, wouldn't hold water either. Imagine if someone was called out for stereotyping based on a certain people group, and their argument in response was, "Well I have two (Latino/Amerindian/East African/Aleut/Southeast Asian/Bangladeshi/any other people group you feel like inserting here) friends, and they don't see it as insulting."? Who would find that an adequate excuse?

My point is that we've become very aware of the damage that can be done by casual (often negative) stereotyping on the basis of group if the groups in question are racially or ethnically defined, but somehow it's still OK in many circumstances to use gender as a basis for said stereotypes, even when they're not meaningful--yes, of course women tend to be physically shorter than men, and in some ways their brains are wired differently, but there's nothing about male & female anatomy that I know of that would indicate we're predisposed to different tastes regarding beer, or any other food for that matter.

You see the same thing in sports media all the time--during the Olympics my friends and I adopted an impromptu drinking game where every time a commentator mentioned how "emotional" a victory or a loss or performance was, we'd down a drink. After a while we had to moderate how many female events we watched, the coverage was SO lopsided. We still joke about it. Hell, on TV adds you constantly see the "manly" equals "good" message, with trucks and sportscars and everything else under the sun. I find it frankly ridiculous, and that's what I was trying to point out earlier.

Incidentally, it's just a little ironic that the disgust over people taking things like this too seriously is just a thin veneer of another well worn trope, that "women are too emotional". I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy on the boards who is happy to get a little upset over women being categorized, to show that you're not the only ones who "overreact".

I usually stay out of this kind of discussion, but I've been following this one, and I have to say that this type of thing does feel demeaning, regardless of whether or not it seems like it to some (or their wives, or the women in their lives). I can't tell you how many times I've been referred to as a "he" if someone referenced one of my posts, but I don't jump on anyone for that. I realize it's mostly men on this forum so I try to ignore it.

As a female brewer, it's not always easy to merely "overlook" this kind of thing. I think it was awfully nice of Yooper to still share a recipe with the OP, and was happy that there was so much support voiced.

Personally, I can't seem to stay OUT of these kinds of discussions. I think discussing what is offensive to you is the only way to cultivate a more polite society. Here is the perfect, enlightening exchange...

Person 1: Blah blah blah
Person 2: Hey, I really dont like that because of blah.
Person 1: Sorry, I didnt mean it like that
Person 2: Its ok, now to answer your original question...

We didnt get that. OP got defensive, even said "BFD" (typically its a poor idea to not only insult a woman in her own house but to tell her to deal with it). Blaming these kids today and their political correctness for being offensive is weak sauce.

With that said, I applaud the OP for wanting to make the ladies in his life something they enjoy. God this thread could have went so much differently.. and better.

I just meant that it could have been titled differently, and OP could have gotten recipes for the women he loves. Everyone could have been so happy. Someone might have even said "women, em'irite?" and we'd all chuckle.

All of my long-term girlfriends hated 99 out of 100 beers. I have always been one to make my partner taste a sip in the hopes they would like it. Sweet fruit beers, ice cold BMC, or beers reminiscent of chocolate fudge were the only exceptions.

That's not to say all women hate beer... just the one's I haven't dated I guess :< poor me. Though I'm sure we could all use that line for many other instances ;)

Latest posts

Back