Relatives visiting from Bavaria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodlemania

Reaction score
So two aunts and an uncle who are from Landshut (just south of Munich) are visiting my mother right now. Had them over for dinner the other night and served them some of my weisbier (recipe in sig). I didn't tell them what it was, but they all agreed after trying it that it "tasted like a very good weisse". WOW, what a compliment.

I don't think they were "just being nice" either, as they drank quite a few of them that night.

As the evening wound down, my uncle then presented me with a gift: ~25 oz of Hallertau from the Landshuter brewery, all vacuum packed in nice 80g bunches. According to him, Landshuter uses 80g of Hallertau for 100L batches of weisse. An aunt also gave me some weisse glasses from Landshuter.

Took him the next day to my LHBS and we picked up a vial of WLP029 for free (expired by 30 days) as well as several pounds DME.

Now I'm off to search for a recipe I can brew that will serve these "gift hops" as they should. Basement's cold now, so I'm not sure what I'll do. (57F right now.)

Sounds great, but I'm an extract brewer right now. Might dabble with partial mash soon as I'd like to do a marzen and I understand that munich malt has to be mashed.

go with a partial mash. it's pretty much the same as extract. check out the thread in my sig for an easy method.

traditional hefeweizen:

2 lbs pilsner malt
3 lbs wheat malt
3 lbs wheat dry malt extract
0.75 oz tettnanger, hallertau or saaz
WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

or variation thereof :) (hefeweizens are my favorite and kind of my specialty)

Back