Stainless Steel vs. Copper Immersion Chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny2884

Reaction score
Is one more preferable over the other? I assume the copper will have thinner coil walls but does that help in chilling the wort faster?

The only other thing I could imagine differentiating would be corrosion - copper being more prone to oxidation than stainless steel. The oxidation could affect the taste of the cooling wort, or could require additional cleaning.

However, I've never tried so this is purely theoretical...

While copper is a better conductor (and thus cooling the wort more quickly), my stainless steel chiller does the job pretty darn quickly. Also was cheaper than copper tubing.

If you use the search function and type in 'stainless copper chiller' you will get pages and pages of this discussion.

You can go either way, both have advantages and draw backs.

EDIT: To be a little more helpful... I like the stainless and went with it because it is shiny and I got a good deal. Copper is a better medium for heat transfer, but with the wall thickness and cooling conditions the metal is not the limiting factor for cooling so it doesn't matter in reality. Go with what you want, the practical differences are small. Copper is easier to form, but also easier to deform. The list goes on... see the search for a ton of debate.

Either is fine and +1 one to a little searching.

For what it's worth, I have a SS chiller and am more than satisfied with it. Last night using 60 degree water I took 5.5 gallons from boiling to pitching (74) in under about 15 minutes.

Why not just use aluminum instead of SS. Stainless has a VERY bad heat transfer comparativly and Aluminum will be almost as good as copper. Just my opinion.

Why not just use aluminum instead of SS. Stainless has a VERY bad heat transfer comparativly and Aluminum will be almost as good as copper. Just my opinion.

The heat transfer you are referring to is conduction through the metal. Think of how fast that will happen through ANY thin metal, or even wood or plastic for that matter.

What is much more important here is the convection rate, or the rate at which the heat can transfer from liquid to metal or metal to liquid, and that isn't going to be affected by the metal type (aside from surface finish).

You will not have "VERY bad" heat transfer with a stainless chiller.

It will work... for how long is the question. Aluminum tubing is very fragile in my experience and cracks/breaks/kinks very easily. It is so soft its incredible. I would really steer anyone reading this away from Al. That said, it is your choice. I think SS is the best FWIW.

You will not have "VERY bad" heat transfer with a stainless chiller.

I said comparativly it would be very bad. In general this is true. Yes since it is a very thin metal you will not notice much difference but as a metal stainless does have very bad heat transfer properties.

It will work... for how long is the question. Aluminum tubing is very fragile in my experience and cracks/breaks/kinks very easily. It is so soft its incredible. I would really steer anyone reading this away from Al. That said, it is your choice. I think SS is the best FWIW.

I have never used it so I didnt know about this. I was just saying it because of how much cheaper Aluminum should be as opposed to both Copper and SS. I know aluminum is used in similar situations but none of those require any movement so it being fragile would not be a factor. Since we would be moving it around quite a bit then it may not be the best choice.

I said comparativly it would be very bad. In general this is true. Yes since it is a very thin metal you will not notice much difference but as a metal stainless does have very bad heat transfer properties.

I get what you're saying. My point is it doesn't matter. The heat passes through any metal with much less resistance than when it must pass from liquid to metal.

Maybe an analogy: You are driving to work on the highway. Traffic is bad because of on-ramp/off-ramp merging (wort/water and steel convection). The speed limit is 65 (Stainless Steel conduction).

The next day the DOT ups the speed limit to 85 (Copper conduction). It takes you just as long because the amount of cars passing a point (the 'car flux') is limited by the on-ramp/off-ramp merging (convection)

I am taking a heat transfer course (although it is just an "intro to" course). I was really hoping I could nail down some solid mathematical models for this, but it is looking like convection is to complex, particularly with all the turbulence in the system. Maybe once I learn how to do some fluids/heat transfer modeling on the computer...

Edit: It's me from the future. Here is some useful info searchers: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/overall-heat-transfer-coefficients-d_284.html

And https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/12-wort-chiller-92779/index3.html

what does it all mean? The only SS i can find is the 3/8... but I can find 1/2 copper... 50 feet of course... anyone have a comparison test? i'm surprise no one did... I just got a 1/2" 50 feet copper.... anyone local with SS wanna race? I like SS because everything I have is SS... won't turn green... so more info please... maybe I'll send it back (wrong order) and get a SS

I chose to go with 3/8" 50' SS from NYBrewsupply.com (also on ebay). Great price and job (and communication). Highly recommend.

Yeah, copper and stainless are like the same price now.

I'm chilling 15 gal with it, so it's a bit small for that. So I built a Jamil o chill whirlpool and I'm very satisfied w/ performance.

I think it should always be noted when asking if 3/8" is better than 1/2" kinda questions whether or not wort agitation is involved. Just by manually stirring the chiller, you'll cut down on chill time by more than half (as measured by the little lab in my brain).

what does it all mean? The only SS i can find is the 3/8... but I can find 1/2 copper... 50 feet of course... anyone have a comparison test? i'm surprise no one did... I just got a 1/2" 50 feet copper.... anyone local with SS wanna race? I like SS because everything I have is SS... won't turn green... so more info please... maybe I'll send it back (wrong order) and get a SS

Here is 1/2" SS at 50'

Back