Pit Barrel Cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we're relocating I've been patiently waiting for someone to buy this house so after move I can order mine!

We've been in the new location for 2 weeks now and my PBC came in a week ago. I've done 2 rib cooks and a chicken cook and they were all great.

Unfortunately the 4 racks of baby back ribs I cooked on Sunday had a mishap when I went to remove them for plating one of the racks had fallen onto the coals. I tried retrieving it but it simply broke apart into more pieces not to mention it was HOT. I let the fire win that one. The remaining 3 racks of ribs fed 4 people until we were stuffed with a little left over.

I think a pork butt for pulled pork is coming up soon!

I've had mine for a couple months now. Chicken, ribs twice, and pulled pork. All were beyond excellent. I've been using Kingsford that has hickory in it. Lake trout is up this weekend. I'll be trying applewood briquettes for that.

I've just used the regular blue/white so far until I get some experience with it but can see myself venturing out a little once I get the hang of it.

Has anyone used lump charcoal in the Pit Barrel Cooker and did it effect the heat differently than the kingsford briquettes that has a lot of ash,while lump doesn't

I haven't used anything but BW Kingsford and am a pure novice but I'm getting great cooks from it. I thought lump got too hot which is why they didn't recommend it.

Back