Water pump for immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orford

Reaction score
Greetings all,

As a home brewer in DC and with the summer heat I have had a hard time getting my wort down to pitching temp using my immersion chiller. My tap water is simply too warm. So i was thinking I could use my tap water to star the process and then use a submersible pump to move ice chilled water through my immersion chiller. This would both help to get the wort down to a suitable pitching temp and since I am recirculating the water there would be less water usage as well. I was thinking about a 250 gph submersible pump. Thoughts?

Thanks

I think mine is a 300 gph fountain pump, and it's fine with my 50' immersion chiller.

I use a shurflo pump mounted to the lid of a five gallon bucket. I fill it with tap water and run that for a few minutes until it gets heated, dump it and do that a few times before adding ice. I usually use about ten pounds to get it to pitching temp.
Here is a link to the pump I use.

This sounds like an awesome idea. I saw a ton of them on Amazon that seem pretty affordable. What do you think would be the minimum acceptable flow rate?

Why do you need to start with tap water and then switch to pump?
I want to buy a 520 litre/h, it will be enough? In the same price range is a 600l/h pump.

You don't have to, it is just more efficient. The difference in temps between boiling and tap water are enough to cool boiling down quite a bit. If you use ice, it just melts the ice and you need to get more. Starting with cool water to get down to maybe 100, then using ice/cold water to get it down to the 60s, works really well, without using a lot of ice.

Now i get it... you talk about recirculating the water, i was thinking to run the water through, and get the hot water to use it for cleaning afterwards.
Any ideea if the 500-600 lph pump will work (130-160 gph, i think)? I have a 50' rib cage chiller, 3/8" OD copper.

I ended up buying a cheapo aquarium pump, i believe it is about 150 gph. I have been running tap water through the IC until the wort temp hits 100 or so. After that I hook up the pump and recirculate ice water. Works really well and conserves some water. I typically use the initial outflow water for cleaning and such.

I ended up buying a cheapo aquarium pump, i believe it is about 150 gph. I have been running tap water through the IC until the wort temp hits 100 or so. After that I hook up the pump and recirculate ice water. Works really well and conserves some water. I typically use the initial outflow water for cleaning and such.

What kind of immersion chiller do you have? As i said, i have a 50' rib cage chiller, so i am afraid that a ~150 gph won't be sufficient...

What kind of immersion chiller do you have? As i said, i have a 50' rib cage chiller, so i am afraid that a ~150 gph won't be sufficient...

150gph should be fine if its a strong enough pump. I'd concentrate more on the head (vertical ft/resistnace) it will push than the gph. Pushing through a 50' chiller, a pump rated for 150gph/20' head will likely give you better performance than a 300gph/7' head.

Well, it seems that those cheap pumps have the vertical head proportional with the gph... how 300 gph with 4' head sounds?

Before I got a plate chiller I used to do the same thing. I used a cheap, like $7 submersible water fountain pump from harbor freight and a stock tank. The tank is used to water livestock and is available at a tractor supply for around $30. I got one about the size of the bathtub my wife no longer allowed me to use. I would put 10lbs of ice in it with water and leave the coil in a bucket of sanitizer returning to the tank about 5-10 min before my boil was done. Then I would submerge the kettle in the tub, add the coil, and put the return out in the yard to waste until the hot water coming out cooled. At first I just recirculated but it melted the ice . I now have plenty of cold water in tub to not have to recirculate and it worked great.

Back