what did you use as an enclosure for your control panel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinmarty

Big Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for inspiration for my control panel so I thought maybe you guys could show me what you used for yours.I'm trying not to spend a fortune so maybe one of you found a cool and cheap way of doing it.

After looking at all the different options, crappy one for 30, nice one for 70, super nice one for 150...I decided to make my own, welding together a box out of sheet metal. Cost me about 20 in sheet metal from a local metal yard out of their discount/cut/cull bin. Still need to figure out the back though...thinking about cutting a piece of sheet and then welding on a hinge and a clasp and gluing on a rubber seal. Thats my super DIY version...

I used an aluminum box with a hinge that guys were throwing away at work. But that would be expensive to get.

I heard of a guy that used an old ammo box found at an army surplus store. He got it for 5 bucks and apparently it works fine ! Plus, you get that awesome look in your brewery. I wished I had toughed of that before I built mine !

Cheers !

Black

Cheapest way, $0.

Request a free sample from OKW or Pacentec. Only if you are actually going to use it though.

I used that exact same box from home depot, worked well. The ssr's will put off some heat but mount a piece of aluminum plate to the back of the enclosure and then mount the ssr's to it. That will dissipate the heat perfectly.

I used one of the BUD Nema4x PVC enclosures. A 11x8x6 enclosure was about $40 shipped and includes provisions for internal din rail or backplate and external mounting bosses. This size was adequate for a single PID eBIAB build and PVC makes the modifications quick and easy.

I have one of these old school russian milsurp crates that I plan on using eventually.

a762x54rlb2.jpeg

I was thinking about the ammo boxes and what's bugging me about them is the fact that you don't have much space to do all the wiring since you only have the opening at the top to work through. And you can't exactly install a couple pids and a bunch of switches on the lid. I think it would probably be great for biab but not for a full setup.

I just went to Auber and found the depth of the 2352 PID is 100mm = ~3.94" depth, just FYI...

I found a *****'n old alarm battery panel box, but is too shallow to mount the pid in the door... back to square 1 grrrr.

I had my local sheet metal shop bend me up exactly what I needed... cost me about $30.

I used a $10 plastic Stanley toolbox, so when I mess up I'm not crying over the waste. I'll get the function and practicality down, then maybe upgrade the box.

Nice! A bit pricey though. I wonder if there's anything similar in the $50 range.

not sure you could get much smaller and still have room for everything. Maybe a single PID set up, but 2 PID would be tight in anything smaller I think.

as for cheeper...not on that site...lol

TIm

Back