Apple Juice Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fossey

Reaction score
Short sharpie...

A lot of recipes on here use cans of apple juice concentrate (that I can't get anywhere unless it has potassium sorbate).
I have resorted to reducing my own but don't know the volume of a standard can of AJC. Cheers!

Dumb question - Do you cut the concentrate with water as per directions on the can, or do you add after dethawing as a slush to the secondary? Please bear with me as this is my first time......

I add two cans (24 oz) of concentrated apple juice to a five gallon batch. After the secondary is finished and I'm ready to bottle, I thaw out the two cans and add it straight to the cider. This way I don't have to add any priming sugar. The bottle carb up in about 3 days then I heat pasteurize, put them in the fridge and enjoy.

Tom

In my grocery store they have bottles of apple juice but no cans of concentrate. The lable reads 100% juice with vitamin c added for freshness. Is vitamin c a preservative and will it kill yeast? I want to make some of Ed Worts Affelwien will that work

You can use products that have sorbate in them...never once had a problem using them. The amount is trivial when it comes to winemaking. These products will also have a sulfite up front...so I just opt out of the initial k-meta dose and typically dose at tge first transfer, or within 30 days (to get it on board). The product you want to avoid up front is benzoate...this is the only one that has given me trouble UNLESS I make sure to blend it with something that has no benzoate, like another juice or fresh fruit.

And Vit C will not cause problems...it is found naturally in many fruits.

...Sara

saramc said:
You can use products that have sorbate in them...never once had a problem using them. The amount is trivial when it comes to winemaking. These products will also have a sulfite up front...so I just opt out of the initial k-meta dose and typically dose at tge first transfer, or within 30 days (to get it on board). The product you want to avoid up front is benzoate...this is the only one that has given me trouble UNLESS I make sure to blend it with something that has no benzoate, like another juice or fresh fruit.

And Vit C will not cause problems...it is found naturally in many fruits.

...Sara

Wouldn't the sorbate affect the yeast you want to bottle carb a cider though? (which is my main concern).

Having said that, I have been running a half gallon rough experiment on fermenting reconstituted sorbated concentrate. There has been constant but very very slow CO2 production even using EC-1118.

In my grocery store they have bottles of apple juice but no cans of concentrate. The lable reads 100% juice with vitamin c added for freshness. Is vitamin c a preservative and will it kill yeast? I want to make some of Ed Worts Affelwien will that work

The concentrate is found in the frozen section in the cardboard tubes.

Latest posts

Back