Bo. pils question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I have some montueka that I would like to use in a bo. pils. I don't have enough for bittering but do have enough for 20 min down to 1 minute. I have a bunch of hops here but no saaz. Can I bitter with magnum? should I bitter with the german spalt I have? I have done some research on the motueka thing and love to experiment. Other hops I have that would be close to the style :
liberty and hallertau.
I have 6 oz of both german spalt and montueka for 12 gallon batch.

I'm not sure why you'd want to use montueka in a bopils, but magnum is a pretty standard bittering hop. I don't think I'd waste the spalt as a bittering hop if you're using montueka as a flavor/aroma hop. If you're using montueka, the "style" is thrown out the window, so I wouldn't worry about using other hops that are "to style."

I think motueka (no n) would be good in a pils, though not traditional. The hop is of saazer lineage and contains some of the same spicy characteristics with a bit of citrus as well... Use the mag to bitter.

If anyone has used montueka please let me know whats up. I have read all about it. Some sites say definite replacement for saaz some say otherwise

I haven't found a "true" replacement for Czech saaz. Sterling is closest, but still more hallertau like IMO. I use lots of saaz.

Back