Keggle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jones

Reaction score
6544-dscn0051.jpg

Depressurize (in the horizontal position)
6546-dscn0056.jpg

Remove retaining ring
6548-dscn0059.jpg

Remove stem
6550-dscn0061.jpg

2" hole saw, 4" grinder w/thin cut off disc, clamps, and a jig
6552-dscn0063.jpg

6554-dscn0066.jpg

6560-dscn0070.jpg

About 3 minutes of cutting
6562-dscn0073.jpg

6563-dscn0074.jpg

I'm looking for a small amount of solar flux type B.

good looking start - make sure to grind out all the burrs and sharp edges along the opening - those things can be arm slicers.

are you going to weld fittings on or go weldless?

gas or electric?

have you seen the soldering stainless steel thread? its full of great info - I have soldered several hex nuts onto mine that are holding up quite well.

good luck

Hey I am doing the same thing. Gut up one yesterday and need to get a couple more cut off wheels here soon to finish up. Then it is time to find out id the Harbor Freight step bits will hold up to the SS.

good looking start - make sure to grind out all the burrs and sharp edges along the opening - those things can be arm slicers.

are you going to weld fittings on or go weldless?

gas or electric?

have you seen the soldering stainless steel thread? its full of great info - I have soldered several hex nuts onto mine that are holding up quite well.

good luck

Thanks runningweird,

This is my fourth keggle. I've tig welded the others without back gassing or using flux. All three had bar keeps friend applied after welding to prevent rust(re-passivate), but they all have small amounts of red rust around the couples on the inside. I'm thinking about using solar flux type B on this one. Ebay has a 2oz. package of Solar flux for $10.
Anyone have any experience with this product, should it help?

snccoulter,

The trick with the HF step bits is to use slow consistent speed/high torque (1/2" drill is a must) and try to keep them cool. Start with the small one to open the hole, it cuts quicker than the large one. Good luck!

Back