Basic Set of Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centex99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So... I've brewed two batches and looking forward to many more... I was just wondering and I know there are likely posts on this, but didn't easily find them...
Whats a good set of 3-4 hops to buy in bulk? I know there are tons of options and many of them are very close to the same and two general types (flavor vs aroma)... but if one were to buy just a few (at a 1lb a time) what would they be for the most flexibility...

It probably depends on what type of beer you intend to brew most often. However, at this stage in your brewing, I think it would be more beneficial to you to keep buying in smaller quantities, so you can experiment with the various hops to find out what hop attributes you like best. If you still really want to buy bulk, maybe narrow it down to one or two that you keep as staple just to have some at the ready. That said, I'd put a vote in for German Hallertau as a staple to have on hand. This noble hop is a great all around hop that can be used in many styles for bittering and aroma.

I actually just did my first bulk hop purchase 2 weeks ago. I decided to pick up a # of cascade, magnum & willamette to have on hand. To me these are pretty versatile hops that can be used to make a bunch of different styles that I brew often. I'd suggest figuring out what styles you brew the most then narrowing it down from there.

Like was said above, it really depends on what you brew. I like pale ales, IPAs and darker ales. So for me, something that can be used as an aroma or dry hop in a PA/IPA as well as bittering for a brown/porter/stout is good. My bulk purchase this year (so far) was Centennial, Chinook, and Amarillo. I'm probably going to get a pound of Columbus and Williamette as well soon. I think all of those are pretty versatile varieties.

However, as was mentioned you might want to try out some more varieties. I think it helps anyway. Farmhousebrewing.com lets you buy by the 1/4 pound instead of a full pound. It costs a little more, but the ability to try out 4 instead of one is nice. I used FHB several times and am very happy with their prices and service.

I went crazy and bought a few different types this year. I would say best bang for the buck would be cascade for American type stuff. Magnum or maybe even Columbus for bittering (and you could use the Columbus for flavor aroma too). And then maybe like east Kent goldings or a noble hop like hallertau depending on your tastes. Those breeds don't go for too much usually so that is where I would start. Hops direct has great prices but the popular breeds sell out pretty quick.

postal_penguin said:
Centenial or magnum for bittering, cascade for aroma and probably hallertau for my fiancee's hefe.

Replace centennial for willamette to cover english ales. Then you have your bases covered.

Centennial (or cascade), East kent goldings, hallertau, maybe a more bitter hop (chinook, magnum, columbus) and your good for a lot of things.

As others have said, it depends on the styles that you're most likely to want to brew, especially spur of the moment. These will give me quite a few options for the beers I tend to brew: EK Goldings, Centennial, Cascade or Amarillo, Magnum, Hallertau.

I've wittled all my recipes down to using saaz, chinook, simcoe, amarillo, cascade and williamette. Never had the need for another, but when it comes time for a weizen, hallertau might come in handy.

Back