High Gravity Fermentation and Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayn

Reaction score
On Sunday a friend and I brewed our 3rd all grain batch, an Imperial Stout that was 1.92 OG. Pitched about a qt. of yeast slurry (Safale 05) from a Pale Ale that we racked to a secondary the same day. Fermentation started within 2 hours and was super vigorous for 24 hours but has slowed considerably. Never had a beer start so fast and slow so quick, but never pitched a yeast from a primary before. Not too concerned about the quickness, but was wondering if I'll need to add more yeast when I bottle since it is a high OG and fermentation appears to be so quick. Was hopeing to turn this beer pretty quick so we could have a couple for the St Patrick Parade 3/13 and set the rest aside to age for a bit

The fast ferment was the result of dramatically over-pitching your beer. I don't know of any mechanism that would cause a fast ferment to lead to trouble bottle conditioning, but I haven't done any tests on it. Assuming your gravity was 1.092 (rather than 1.92...that'd be a mighty stout), you should be able to bottle fine as is. If you want, you can always add 100K cells/mL, but you might want to consider crash cooling it first if you decide to go that route.

yes, 1.092. So Priming with DME should result in good carbonation w/o additional yeast? Should I make sure a bit of the yeast cake gets into the bottling bucket?
thanks

Nope, definitely no yeast cake in the bottling bucket. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension at this point, or at least there always has been for me.

Back