Glass carboy or plastic bucket for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaddyb

Reaction score
I realized I have a few scratches in my plastic primary pail, so I'm gonna get a new primary, question is , is it better to just get a 6.5 gal carboy and use that for my primary?

This has been covered a bunch lately. Definitely not an X or Y decision. I'd run a search and read the pros and cons of each.

For what it's worth, I primary only so a bucket would be my choice.

As stated, it has been covered ad nauseum. However, I'll give my two cents. :D

I had two buckets with spigots and after nine months of use the started failing. Spigots broke left and right, I actually dumped a batch because it was leaking (spraying) all over my garage. Had a few issues with infection, could have been the hoses too, but decided to replace the buckets as well. Finally settled on 6.5 gallon glass carboys and couldn't be happier.

I say stick with what works and what you know until you have a reason to change it.

Good points CrapiencePants. I alwasy keg so I've never used a bucket with a spigot. But it is a really good point for people without a keg setup.

I have used a bucket once, then immediately bought a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. As stated before, this has been beaten to death, but I use nothing but glass. I'm careful with it, and it even looks more impressive to non-brewing friends and relatives (if that's important to you).

I wouldn't ferment in a bucket with a spigot. If money wasn't an issue I don't know which I would go with. However money is an issue and I would rather have 3 complete bucket fermenters instead of one glass carboy. I brew one day and put the bucket in a closet for 3+ weeks and forget about it until I bottle.

They each have their pros and cons. I like glass, as properly cared for, carboys pretty much last forever. If you can afford to pony up the cash, they're cheaper in the long run.

I will vote for buckets. I do all my ales in buckets since they're cheap and easy to handle (they have a handle) and they're droppable. I also have two better bottles that I use for lagers, but that's because they seal better and I like the feeling of security I get from not having a lid.

I've used glass from the get-go. It is far more aesthetically pleasing than plastic. But as both the carboys and I age, I contemplate the bloody, worty aftermath of a catastrophic glass failure every time I lug a full one down the stairs. I'm seriously considering switching to buckets.

scroll%20down.bmp

Or just choose whatever you want to, they all make beer.

LOL this is an issue that seems to be pretty much split down the middle . . .

LOL this is an issue that seems to be pretty much split down the middle . . .

It's because it is really an irrevelant issue. If either affected the beer in some way, then THEY ALL wouldn't be used by millions of brewers/winemakers/cider makers.

Bottom line, there is no best in brewing, only what YOU prefer. Plastic and glass these days both work perfectly fine, and people are quite happy with their choices. And ultimately you'll have to make up your own mind. All you'll in these type of threads will be people's preferences, it will be 50 50, and you'll STILL have to go in the store and pick one or the other or both.

And FYI, all "This Vs That" arguments are summed up pretty well in this thread This Vs. That - A Pro/Con Analysis

The glass vs plastic "debate" is pointless, it doesn't matter they all work perfectly fine. One's not better than any other.

There is little "absolutes" in brewing, glass vs plastic, Stainless vs Aluminum, Batch vs fly- they all work fine. Hence the recommendation to look at the "this -vs-that" sticky.

In brewing all that matters is what you prefer. It's up to you to make that decision. But it's not about what's better or worse, just what's better for YOU.

So use what works best for you. Either one has the potential to make award winning beer, or crap, because it's not the tools it's the brewer who makes great beer.

It's because it is really an irrevelant issue. If either affected the beer in some way, then THEY ALL wouldn't be used by millions of brewers/winemakers/cider makers.

Bottom line, there is no best in brewing, only what YOU prefer. Plastic and glass these days both work perfectly fine, and people are quite happy with their choices. And ultimately you'll have to make up your own mind. All you'll in these type of threads will be people's preferences, it will be 50 50, and you'll STILL have to go in the store and pick one or the other or both.

And FYI, all "This Vs That" arguments are summed up pretty well in this thread This Vs. That - A Pro/Con Analysis

The glass vs plastic "debate" is pointless, it doesn't matter they all work perfectly fine. One's not better than any other.

There is little "absolutes" in brewing, glass vs plastic, Stainless vs Aluminum, Batch vs fly- they all work fine. Hence the recommendation to look at the "this -vs-that" sticky.

In brewing all that matters is what you prefer. It's up to you to make that decision. But it's not about what's better or worse, just what's better for YOU.

So use what works best for you. Either one has the potential to make award winning beer, or crap, because it's not the tools it's the brewer who makes great beer.

Some very good points here, thanks. I guess i really dont know which works better yet, because I dont have much experience, just a few batches with a plastic bucket.

I will prolly just buy a bucket because they are cheaper, and I can put money into some other more important brewing tools I dont have yet. . .

That is because the answer is neither.

Well, one usually does work better than the other, but it's relative to the person. The answer can change over time and depending upon other circumstances, too. Neither works better for all brewers, all the time. I suppose that's what you meant, but I thought it might be helpful to clarify.

I ferment in my basement... The wort goes into whichever vessel is empty, clean, sanitized and food-safe. Typically a bucket, sometimes a Carboy.

For some reason I tend to do ales in my Ale Pale and laggers in my Carboy... No real reason why other than I bought the Carboy when I made my fist lagger; the vessel has been dedicated ever since.

Back