cleaning inside siphon tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually don't clean mine other than running really hot sink water through it. I'll pump sanitizer though it before use with my auto siphon. Tubing is pretty cheap if you buy the 20' rolls at Depot. I usually replace it if it gets nasty.

If you wanted to clean it, tie a bit of cloth to the center of some fishing line and put a little shot weight on one end. Feed the weight through your tubing and now drag the bit of cloth back and forth inside the tube.

The Key is to rinse it immediately after use. A soak in PWB or Oxiclean Free will work followed by sanitizing with starsan.

I use the hi-temp silicone hose now for all my siphoning and racking simply because it remains flexible at most temps. It's easy to roll up and put in a buck of solution and it unrolls and hangs straight to the bottom of a keg or carboy.

I clean my hoses by attaching one end to a Jet carboy and bottle washer, and then run hot water through it for several minutes. Hang to dry.

Do the same right before I use it, and then sanitize by connecting it to my autosiphon and pumping star san (in a bucket) through it for a minute or two.

Works very well.

I just dump all my accesories (including siphon hose) into my bottling bucket and fill with about 6 gallons water/idophor solution mix to sanitize.

The Key is to rinse it immediately after use.

EdWort nailed it. Don't give it time for anything sticky to dry up in there. I just rinse immediately with hot water and dry. Sanitize with Iodopher before use.

Back