Summer in December

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing a batch of Samuel Adams Summer Ale type-clone in the next week to try my hand at summer ales. Summer beers are my favorite and I want to make sure they'll be perfected by June. A quick google search turned up the following:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?p=338849&sid=bef05bd6ab26e8b72b1cb16609fc877f

I also found this recipe here on our forum:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11750&highlight=Adams

This one seems much more... believable? I dont know. I guess I never thought of Steh Summer Ale being a Belgian style Wit. The yeast listed in the first recipe doesn't make that much sense to me. Nor does using Hallertau and Saaz hops when Sam Adams claims they use tettnang. Huh...

I'm not sure how much I trust the recipe though. Any thoughts? Does anyone have a recipe for the summer Ale? I recently bought a book with a clone recipe of it from Amazon, but it could be weeks before that comes. You know, Amazon's "buy it now, get it never" policy. We'll see. If anyone has a good clone for this beer I'd be most appreciative.
-Ben

I brewed a mini mash "Belgian Saison Summer Ale" kit from Austin HB last summer which included the Paradise seeds. The recipe also calls for lemon zest, which was not included. I don't remember the whole recipe but IMO tasted much better than SA. I'll probably do an AG version, come spring.

The Lemon Zest and the Grains of paradise seem pretty standard. It's the yeast that really worries me.

Does anyone have the recipe from "150 North American Clone Brews"? That's the book I ordered but who knows when that bad boy will come. I want to get this show on the road.
-Ben

Back