Grodziskie - Polish smoked wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an easy style, a SMaSH, so it's hard to screw up.
Maybe I can screw it up on my next batch. I was going to brew 10 gallons yesterday, but shortage of temperature controlled fermentation space made it a 5 gallon batch. Now I'm wondering if the left over Oak Smoked Wheat will compliment other beers if used in small amounts. It doesn't seem like it would go well with American hops, but I could be wrong. How about a Porter? Maybe an big English Barleywine? Ever experiment with it?

Never tried it in any other recipe.

I still have leftovers from my batch. 6 to 8 months lagering in the fridge and it's very tasty

Clear as glass, too

Grodziskie is such a light, effervescent beverage, maybe the answer to your question lies in the complete opposite direction.

watching Brew Dogs in Michigan and a youtube video about Funky Buddha Brewery in Ft Lauderdale (our vacation destination this year) and they're talking about Breakfast Stouts

think smoked wheat malt would make an excellent addition to that type of grain bill; anything having to do with maple flavorings. something big, bold, roasty. with cocoa or coffee or vanilla or something aged on bourbon or oak any combination of all the above

I will make that beer someday

so i don't think my LHBS has the smoke wheat i would need for this, any online options?

I'm so glad you revived this thread jako. I would like to try this also as a nod to my Polish ancestry.

Same with me. Hah my last name is jackositz for Christ sakes! I might order the supplies tonight need to talk to the wife.

To tell the truth I'm not a huge fan of smoked anything but I still want to try this.

ha ha, my name is the easy to spell Nietupski.
I'm not sure about the smoked part either but always looking for something new to try.

The smoke is very subtle in this beer. Nothing like a (edit) Rauch bier . Completely different from beechwood smoked barley

My Mom's birth name was Jaworski, her adopted family name was Wojtkowiak

Just bottled (a week ago) a smoked wheat. Did a test run this weekend. Yowza! Obviously needs more carb time, but it's a winner. Trying to light a fire under my S-I-L (NPI) to buy a smoker and doing some ribs to go with it. Hey, I bought the brewing equipment, ingredients and brewed the beer. It's the least he could do, right? :D

That's good to know makes this a bit more exciting to make.

Really cool stuff! I did the DNA test turns out I am a big portion of Irish and Polish! Going to order tonight so I don't put it off any longer.

First impression was that the 100% oak smoked recipe was too harsh with smoke, but found that it quickly mellows, and I am going to have to start another 5G batch this weekend so that I don't end up running out of this baby. (In anticipation of finding the result offensively smokey, I had brewed one batch with 50% Pilsen, and one at 100% Weyermann Eichenrauch.)

Last edited:
Back