US-05 Vs Nottingham Yeast *pic*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
First time useing notty yeast.
I have allways used us05 and never had a major issue of the krauson blowing the airlock. Might get a little happy a fill the airlock a little bit but never this much of a problem.
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae249/winston0026/0118001549.jpg

Yes i realise that if i had used a blow off tube this wouldnt have happened...Yes i do have a blow off tube but never really needed it unless i knew i had more than 5 gal in a carboy.

So at any rate...It blew the top off of the airlock...sent it about 5 feet from the carboy. The little plastic "hood" thats inside went about 7 feet from the carboy in the other direction.
SWMBO asked is there anything on the cieling...WELL Ya its not purty at all.
OOPS!!!!

Question i have here, Is notty yeast allways a stronger fermenting yeast than US05 or did i just get lucky?
Even today the us05 is bubbleing away nice and happy..The notty is having a slight bumble every so often....And its been 6 days. OG 1.080

Next question, And yes i know time will tell....
Anyone know if us-05 vs notty which one will ferment out further? us05 is past has went to 1.030 and stopped.

Thanks

I've blown off with both. They are both good yeasts. They both attenuate very well with proper pitching rates, temp control & wort fermentability. I use S05 for American styles beers and Nottingham for British styles beers.

according to Danstar, Notty can go down to 1.008

http://www.danstaryeast.com/tds/nottingham.pdf

Isn't that dependent on your starting gravity and the amount of fermentable vs. unfermentable sugars? I'm not sure why Danstar reports the 1.008 FG, it provides no additional information to the "high attentuation" statement preceding it.

Nottingham is very controlled if you keep it cool. I fermented 6 gallons of 1.075 ale on a nottingham cake in a bucket with a simple airlock and had no issues at 64 degrees. In 5 days it was fully fermented and delicious. I firmly believe that most of the issues folks have with nottingham off flavors and messy fermentation are temperature related.

In my experience nottingham will also ferment out further or attenuate better than US-05, especially at cooler controlled temps. I much prefer nottingham to us-05. It floculates better too

I've used both, but had a couple problems with off batches using Notty. Might have been from the bad lot, but I've pretty much sworn off it and am using US-05 for American styles and S-04 for british. But, from my experiences, Notty was able to get a little below what I've gotten from 05.

I've had blowoffs with both. Currently, I have a DIPA that was brewed last Sunday morning. Started at 1.085. I just checked the gravity, as it appears to be almost finished and the FG is 1.019, right where it should be. I also have a RIS that used US-05 that started at 1.086 and is stopped at 1.030, but should be about 1.022. Still don't know whether it's stuck or just finished high. I did a 1.050 English Pale Ale with S-04 that finished at 1.012.

Not sure if this helps answer your question, but figured I'd add some data.

Nottingham is very controlled if you keep it cool. I fermented 6 gallons of 1.075 ale on a nottingham cake in a bucket with a simple airlock and had no issues at 64 degrees. In 5 days it was fully fermented and delicious. I firmly believe that most of the issues folks have with nottingham off flavors and messy fermentation are temperature related.

In my experience nottingham will also ferment out further or attenuate better than US-05, especially at cooler controlled temps. I much prefer nottingham to us-05. It floculates better too

Sg at 1.075 where did you fg end up?

I am useing a 6.5 gal fermenters. Both at same temp 64-68.
To me it was a great test since both are side by side and same batch just differnt yeast.

As for a bee hive???? Got me on that one... SWMBO came from the basement and was like Care to Explain!?!?!?! uh......... Ya...Its Happy :)

So basicly, I dont know how much better "control" i can do.

Revy, If ya read this...I would like your imput. I know you are a yeast guru :)
And its not infected lol

Notty won my race by a matter of a week or more.

In early Dec I split a 10g batch of Irish Red Ale into two 5g carboys. At 66-68F the Notty was done in 5 days. The US-05 took a total of 14 days to ferment out. Crazy. The two batches do taste slightly different too - the Notty batch is maltier with more roast character, while the US-05 is crisp with more hop character coming through.

Notty won my race by a matter of a week or more.

In early Dec I split a 10g batch of Irish Red Ale into two 5g carboys. At 66-68F the Notty was done in 5 days. The US-05 took a total of 14 days to ferment out. Crazy. The two batches do taste slightly different too - the Notty batch is maltier with more roast character, while the US-05 is crisp with more hop character coming through.

Interesting, i normally use Notty/US-05 interchangeably

Sg at 1.075 where did you fg end up?

It was a strong scotch ale mashed at 149 for 30 minutes and 157 for 60 minutes. I hit my target gravity perfectly. However, if I would have mashed at 151 for 60 minutes I have no doubt over time I would have hit 1.012 or less.

Nottingham fermented too cold can impart a tartness. Below about 62 degrees. The tartness dies with age, but betwen 64 and 68 lies the sweet spot.

US-05 is a great yeast and much more tolerant to less then perfect temp control and fermenting conditions. Nottingham provides a ton of versatility if you control the variables.

If I had only one yeast to brew with, it would be nottingham, US-05 is second and oddly enough I don't think I could make it without a nice kolsch yeast..very underrated.

I use both Notty and US-05 on double batches (11 gal) all the time lately. US-05 is more clear and crispy with some fruit, and Notty is a little more hazy, malty and estery. Both are good yeasts though.

Back