acetobacter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_ak

Reaction score
The other day I saw a little fruit fly buzzing around the lid of my bucket. Not too worried, everything is pretty well sealed up I think, but it did get me wondering...what shot does acetobacter have at taking hold during a vigorous primary fermentation?

I can see how it would find the brew hospitable once primary is done, but what about during primary fermentation?

thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
AK

If I'm not mistaken, acetobacter actually "eats" alcohol, and makes vinegar. So, during primary they wouldn't have anything to eat initially. Once ETOH is formed as a by product of the yeast, though, they'd be able to get a foothold.

I've had a couple acetobacter infections before. As long it's not in there too long before bottling, the beer will be fine. It's an aerobic infection, so bottling will stop it in its tracks. That being said, if you're careless with sanitation, it's pretty easy to get acetobacter. But since you always sanitize properly, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-AJ

Latest posts

Back