racetrack lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyvette

Reaction score
ok i'm new to brewing as most of you can tell by the question i'm going to ask.what excactly is a racetrack lid and how does it differ from a "normal" corny keg? would i still be able to keg my beer in it? or would it be too much of a hassle?the reason i'm asking this is cause i think i might be getting a good price for them at 20 bucks a piece.thanks

oh yeah, they work just fine. the only issue you might run into is the nylon washers that normally accompany those kinds of kegs that sit inside the posts. yours might not have them, but the one racetrack keg i have was kind of a pain to get working right. some of they have plastic gas diptubes also... i think they're firestone manufactured corny kegs. but you will probably have better luck than me with it, $20 is a good price even if you have to add a few o-rings to get things sealed up. i've used a regular lid o-ring for the racetrack lid w/o any problems also.

I don't have experience with them, but I have heard that they can be a royal PITA to use. They are an older design and I believe it is more difficult to find replacement parts for them.

Back